[net.micro.mac] NuBus or VME bus or what?

berger@datacube.UUCP (08/07/86)

In the most recent Computer Design Magazine (August 1,  1986) on page
9 of the "Up Front" column they say:

	"Apple  Computer  has approached  Texas Instruments  about using TI's
	NuBus as the open-bus  architecture for  some of  the Maxintoshes and
	workstations that Apple plans to introduce late this year  and at the
	start of 1987..."

I hope this isn't so!  The only people supporting the NuBus is TI and
LMI.  On the other hand there are  over 2500  companies producing VME
bus  products.   Using  the NuBus  is as  smart as  creating a closed
system and producing your own propriatary floppy disk format.

I pray that Apple uses the VME bus as their open systems approach.

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

larryh@tekcbi.UUCP (Larry Hutchinson) (08/15/86)

In article <19400008@datacube> berger@datacube.UUCP writes:

>In the most recent Computer Design Magazine (August 1,  1986) on page
>9 of the "Up Front" column they say:
>
>	"Apple  Computer  has approached  Texas Instruments  about using TI's
>	NuBus as the open-bus  architecture for  some of  the Maxintoshes and
>	workstations that Apple plans to introduce late this year  and at the
>	start of 1987..."
>
>I hope this isn't so!  The only people supporting the NuBus is TI and
>LMI.  On the other hand there are  over 2500  companies producing VME
>bus  products.   Using  the NuBus  is as  smart as  creating a closed
>system and producing your own propriatary floppy disk format.
>
>I pray that Apple uses the VME bus as their open systems approach.

While I, also, hope Apple has picked the VME bus and not the NuBus, keep in
mind that as long as any bus is provided it is possible (but not necessarily
easy) to build an adapter card.  A bus buffer card would be required in any
case.