[net.micro.mac] RedRyder 9.2 Term Emulation Pro

dorner@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (08/15/86)

Wayne H. Pollock, {ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp writes

>The bottom line is, if you need a good reliable terminal emulator, use
>MacTerminal or VersaTerm or some other professional product.  If you try
>Red Ryder,  you might just be throwing your money away.  You certainly won't
>get professional support.  (Another point: I don't believe the author has
>updated the documentation since version 8.0, and I recall that many
>enhancments/features were added since then.)

I don't know about VersaTerm, but I bought MacTerminal back in the dark ages,
when it was all there was.  I certainly don't have to worry about my document-
ation being obsoleted by program enhancements.  The program never did anything
very well, and still does not!  MacTerminal has none of the features of RR or
MicroPhone--no procedures, macros, kermit.  It's slow.  It also likes to
bomb if you change port settings in the middle of a session (like turn flow
control off).

RR is pretty good and pretty cheap.  And with as many customers as there are
for RR, I think it's inevitable that SOMEBODY was going to have a bad
experience with it.  Of course, I'm sure that's easy for me to say, since
I'm not the bad experience-ee, so to speak.

Steve Dorner
dorner@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (08/19/86)

In article <96900033@uiucuxc>, dorner@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

> Wayne H. Pollock, {ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp writes
>
> >The bottom line is, if you need a good reliable terminal emulator, use
> >MacTerminal or VersaTerm or some other professional product.  If you try
> >Red Ryder,  you might just be throwing your money away.  You certainly won't
> >get professional support.  (Another point: I don't believe the author has
> >updated the documentation since version 8.0, and I recall that many
> >enhancments/features were added since then.)
>
> I don't know about VersaTerm, but I bought MacTerminal back in the dark ages,

  I do know about VersaTerm and it is an excellent product. It is updated
frequently with new features, the lastest being a automatic macro recording.
It supports VT100, Textronics 1014 both quite well. There are lots of
niceties with attention to detail and the support is very good. I haven't
used Red Ryder so I can't comment on that but from what I have seen on the
net, there are lots of updates to it, but some are necessary as bug fixes.
The updates to VersaTerm are always enhancements and it is amazingly bug
free. It is certainly worth a look if you need a high performance VT100;
it is one of the fastest at updating the screen of any of the emulators.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.