[net.micro.mac] 19200

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne @ SLI) (08/19/86)

>From: YVES (11466)
>Subject: RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11381)
>Date: 8-AUG-21:18: Telecommunicating
>
>Yes, you're right: the big screens just have a new Bitmap definition
>(address, rowbytes and rectangle). Unfortunately I had to use some
>very tricky programming to become that fast and that meant assuming
>the size of the screen. However, when Apple comes out with a new size
>of screen, I will modify the programs to be compatible with both
>(people with MegaScreens STILL have the standard screen if they don't
>boot the special disk). This until the Mac becomes fast enough to
>handle 19200 baud by itself (I'm thinking 68020). At that time, any
>terminal program will do... -- Yves

The terminal emulator desk accessory I'm using already runs at close
to 19200 without hardware or software flow control. Best throughput
I've actually seen is about 1700 chars/sec. Most host systems have
trouble keeping up a sustained 19200 (about 1900 chars/sec) output
so normally I don't bother to keep Xonn/Xoff flowcontrol turned on.
The DA supports a subset of VT100 control codes, XModem file xfer
and screen refresh.

The bad news is that I don't know when the company that developed
it will start to market it.

Old (not Mac+) speeds where about 20% slower -- 1400 chars/sec.

To follow Yves reasoning we should be able to handle 38400 or
57600 with 68020. Of course I may have to beef up my Unix box
a little bit (:-).

Stuart Lynne		ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vi!van-bc!sl