[net.micro.mac] Cheap ROM Upgrade for 512K Mac ??

frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) (08/13/86)

.Has anyone tried to take a new ROM out of a Mac+ and put it into a 128K/512K
Mac and attach an external 800K drive to the Mac?

I am wondering if this is possible since I was told that a 512K Mac can undergo
the initial upgrade to the new ROM and a 800K internal drive without requiring
the new logic board. If this is not possible does anyone know WHY??

If this is possible can one just purchase a new ROM??

It seems to me that this would be a fair alternative for the people who have
512K Macs and external 800K drives and would like to upgrade for a minimal
price!!

APPLE's upgrading policy appears to lack genuine and sincere support for its
customers. In reality, APPLE, it has taken two parties to make the Mac the
computer it is today.

The developer and the PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THE COMPUTER !!!

Without the customers taking a chance on buying a Mac, future enhancements of
the Mac would not have been possible without the profits.  I wonder if the
original Mac customers would have taken a chance had they known about how APPLE
would handle the upgrade policy and pricing.

So why does Apple forsake us each time by offering upgrade fees and options that
are unfair??

 Come on APPLE you probably could have also offered just the ROM by itself !!

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (08/19/86)

In article <1911@dciem.UUCP> frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) writes:
>If this is possible can one just purchase a new ROM??
>
>It seems to me that this would be a fair alternative for the people who have
>512K Macs and external 800K drives and would like to upgrade for a minimal
>price!!
>
>APPLE's upgrading policy appears to lack genuine and sincere support for its
>customers. In reality, APPLE, it has taken two parties to make the Mac the
>computer it is today.
>
>The developer and the PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THE COMPUTER !!!
>
>Without the customers taking a chance on buying a Mac, future enhancements of
>the Mac would not have been possible without the profits.  I wonder if the
>original Mac customers would have taken a chance had they known about how APPLE
>would handle the upgrade policy and pricing.
>
>So why does Apple forsake us each time by offering upgrade fees and options that
>are unfair??
>
> Come on APPLE you probably could have also offered just the ROM by itself !!

In comparison to companies which offer no upgrade path at all, Apple shines.

By offering the ROM and drive upgrade, Apple provided an upgrade to the
current product.

Offering the ROM alone makes no commercial sense. I'm not surprised that they
didn't offer it. I was amazed that they only asked $295 for the
ROM/drive upgrade. I turned in my two year old single sided drive for
a double sided, and faster disk drive, at a good price, and they gave me the
new 128K ROMS for free.

This offer is a very fair offer.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Once and for all: I like my Macintosh

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) (08/27/86)

> .Has anyone tried to take a new ROM out of a Mac+ and put it into a 128K/512K
> Mac and attach an external 800K drive to the Mac?
> I am wondering if this is possible since I was told that a 512K Mac can undergo
> the initial upgrade to the new ROM and a 800K internal drive without requiring
> the new logic board. If this is not possible does anyone know WHY??
> If this is possible can one just purchase a new ROM??
> It seems to me that this would be a fair alternative for the people who have
> 512K Macs and external 800K drives and would like to upgrade for a minimal
> price!!
> APPLE's upgrading policy appears to lack genuine and sincere support for its
> customers. In reality, APPLE, it has taken two parties to make the Mac the
> computer it is today.
> The developer and the PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THE COMPUTER !!!
> Without the customers taking a chance on buying a Mac, future enhancements of
> the Mac would not have been possible without the profits.  I wonder if the
> original Mac customers would have taken a chance had they known about how APPLE
> would handle the upgrade policy and pricing.
> So why does Apple forsake us each time by offering upgrade fees and options that
> are unfair??
>
>  Come on APPLE you probably could have also offered just the ROM by itself !!

This has been hashed over and over, Whats wrong with Apple's uprade policy??
They are trying to maintain as much compatabilty with future systems as
possible. Who in world would want to run on a 400k internal and an 800k
external, what a pain? sticking in a 800k Floppy, Can't read it asks to
init it, accidently erase it. Or Have the data you need on a 800k floppy
and you have the startup in the 800k and you can't use the internal and
you need to keep the startup in the external to do whatever you might be doing.

And then of course is the alternative: no upgrade policy at all, you want
to upgrade an IBM>>GET A NEW COMPUTER!!

It seems awfully dumb to me to want to stick to a dead horse in the slow
400k disk drives, thats why Apple tied the roms to the disk drive, I think
that Apple made good decisions for the future for the Mac and since
they are the only Computer Co.that provides a way to UPGRADE!!! stop complaining
Roms by themselves, sure it would work, but it would be a real pain to use
and there are no advantages to doing so. Unless you like to mix Apple's &
oranges with 400 & 800k disks, and then its only a matter of time before
you mess up and lose something valuable because someone else inserts your
800k disk into the internal 400 and it says init and they say ok for you.
its gone, maybe 700-780k down the drain...go ahead..be cheap and do it the
hard way...Glad Apple didn't.......

		Norm Goodger
		@Bridge Comm
		Sysop-MacInfo BBS.@415-795-8862