[net.micro.mac] Kafka revisited

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (08/27/86)

This is an update on the LW problems (in Diablo 630 mode from a burroughs)
that I posted on a little while ago.

I've gotten a few helpful responses, ranging from "is there a pagebreak/
form feed at the end of each page" to "check out the Adobe postscript books"
or even "have you tried calling apple technical support directly?"  The
answer to the first should be obvious, since it is the first thing that
anyone would think of (even though it doesn't account for all the symptoms
mentioned), the second may prove to be the most fruitful suggestion yet,
and the third suggestion, well, therein lies our tale.

Here is a real quick synopsis of what has transpired (mind you, this is not
My Problem; it currently belongs to a good friend in Alaska, though it could
conceivably visit itself upon anyone of us):

Chapter I: Problem occurs
  Local engineers/gurus try to fix it (no luck)
  Call the local Apple folks (repeat until you are buying cases of aspirin)
  Reactions range from disbelief to apathy
   (once they figured out that there really *were* pagebreaks at the end of
    the page, they said something like "well, we *could* call the regional
    office, but why don't you go back and check again to see if there is really
    a problem [insert winning salesman smile here].")
  Engineers puzzled; management steamed
  Someone Takes Initiative: calls Apple in Palo Alto directly
    "Hello, Apple Computer"
    "Hi, I'd like to get some technical support on a problem, please"
    "One moment..."
    "Hello, this is Marketing, Gary speaking.  What can I do you for?"
    "Well, I'm trying to get some technical support..."
    "Oh, you should call your Local Apple Dealer.  Let me get his number
       for you.  I'll just put you on hold for a minute..."
    sounds of California Muzak and screams in the background...

Chapter II: Try, Try Again
  After much wrangling, local Apple people agree to send a problem description
    out on their Apple network "...but I don't know how much good it'll do ya"
  After more wrangling, (and still no results, except minimally from the
    USENET), the Apple people agree that sure, anyone can get on the Applelink
    network, all ya had to do was ask (knowhutImean?)...
  "And all it costs is a mere... $10,000"
  More sounds of screaming and hair being ripped from scalps...

At this point in our story, our hero, responsible for many dollars going into
Apple, INC. is being treated like a one-shot Consumer rather than an on-going
Customer.  He is unable to get any support from Apple at a local level (due to
apathy/incompetence), regional level (the local people act as a Front Four for
the Holy Regional Office), or the corporate level (the LAST people you want
when you have a technical problem is Marketing, but that's who they give you,
and they are TRAINED to make you believe that they know what you are talking
about!).

So what is the Moral of our story?  I don't know yet.  Maybe it is to take up
penguin farming in New Zealand.  It certainly isn't to rest assured in the
knowledge that Apple Computer will be there to help you with your problems
with their hardware.  They will be there, but not to help YOU.

I sure hope someone from Apple is reading this, and that his or her ears are
turning just a bit red.  They should be.  Note also that my friend in Alaska
has sent a slightly less restrained letter than this one to MacWorld and
MacTutor, so that all might be made aware, and be afraid.  For verily it has
been said, "Laugh not at the problems of others, especially if it involves
Apple Computer, for thus shall their problems be made your own."

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

A path is simply a rut that's going your way.

mazlack@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (08/28/86)

In article <7577@tekecs.UUCP> mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) writes:
>This is an update on the LW problems (in Diablo 630 mode from a burroughs)
>that I posted on a little while ago.
>Here is a real quick synopsis of what has transpired (mind you, this is not
>Chapter I: Problem occurs
>  Local engineers/gurus try to fix it (no luck)
>  Call the local Apple folks (repeat until you are buying cases of aspirin)
>  Engineers puzzled; management steamed
>  Someone Takes Initiative: calls Apple directly...
>    "Oh, you should call your Local Apple Dealer.  Let me get his number
>       for you.  I'll just put you on hold for a minute..."
>    sounds of California Muzak and screams in the background...
>
>Chapter II: Try, Try Again
>  After much wrangling, local Apple people agree to send a problem description
>    out on their Apple network "...but I don't know how much good it'll do ya"
>  After more wrangling, (and still no results, except minimally from the
>    USENET), the Apple people agree that sure, anyone can get on the Applelink
>    network, all ya had to do was ask (knowhutImean?)...
>  "And all it costs is a mere... $10,000"
>  More sounds of screaming and hair being ripped from scalps...
>
>At this point in our story, our hero, responsible for many dollars going into
>Apple, INC. is being treated like a one-shot Consumer rather than an on-going
>Customer.  He is unable to get any support from Apple at a local level (due to
>apathy/incompetence), regional level (the local people act as a Front Four for
>the Holy Regional Office), or the corporate level (the LAST people you want
>when you have a technical problem is Marketing, but that's who they give you,

It is precisely stories like this that rule Apple out as a general business
machine.  Sure, the stuff is nice to play with; BUT until Apple provides
a means of getting quality technical support, it is not a good choice for
a production environment.  It costs money to pay people to sit around because
your equipment is not working.  There are also opportunity costs.

Larry Mazlack
  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ucbernie!mazlack
  New style	mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu
  ARPA | CSNET	mazlack%ernie@berkeley.ARPA
  BITNET   	mazlack@ucbernie.BITNET
  telephone     (415) 526-0180
  snail         CS Dept, 571 Evans, U. California, Berkeley, CA 94720