[net.micro.mac] xbin for MacBinary

rae@unicus.UUCP (Clith de T'nir) (08/22/86)

	The utility "xbin" converts binhexed files into binary files with
the names *.rsrc, *.data and *.info.  One needs to use Macterminal 1.1
file transfer format to download these files using "macput".  Does there
exist some other utility (or perhaps a newer version of xbin) that allows
one to translate binhex format files into MacBinary format files?  This would
be a good thing, since MacBinary is independant of file transfer protocol
and thus one could use a standard xmodem or kermit program that is already
on the system, rather than having to keep macput around, which is highly
Mac-specific.
	Just asking...
--
				"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao,
				 and there is a slight flaw in my character."

Clith de T'nir	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,pyramid}!utzoo!utcs!yetti!unicus!rae

eric@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Eric Fielding) (08/26/86)

In article <243@unicus.UUCP> rae@unicus.UUCP (Clith de T'nir) writes:
>one to translate binhex format files into MacBinary format files?  This would
>be a good thing, since MacBinary is independant of file transfer protocol
>and thus one could use a standard xmodem or kermit program that is already
>on the system, rather than having to keep macput around, which is highly
>Mac-specific.
>	Just asking...
>Clith de T'nir	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,pyramid}!utzoo!utcs!yetti!unicus!rae

I don't know if this is peculiar to the UNIX system on this Gould, but I notice
that downloads with "macput" are much faster than downloads with "kermit".
I don't know enough about the protocols to know why this might be so.  I
often use "macput -u" to download text files because it is faster.

				--Eric Fielding

 ARPA Internet: fielding@geology.tn.cornell.edu

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (08/27/86)

In article <243@unicus.UUCP> rae@unicus.UUCP (Clith de T'nir) writes:

>	The utility "xbin" converts binhexed files into binary files with
>the names *.rsrc, *.data and *.info.  One needs to use Macterminal 1.1
>file transfer format to download these files using "macput".  Does there
>exist some other utility (or perhaps a newer version of xbin) that allows
>one to translate binhex format files into MacBinary format files?  This would
>be a good thing, since MacBinary is independant of file transfer protocol
>and thus one could use a standard xmodem or kermit program that is already
>on the system, rather than having to keep macput around, which is highly
>Mac-specific.
>	Just asking...
>--
>				"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao,
>				 and there is a slight flaw in my character."
>
>Clith de T'nir	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,pyramid}!utzoo!utcs!yetti!unicus!rae

For those that missed it, apparently many, the utility Macbin converts
the output of xbin to a single MacBinary format file. I wrote it, but am
not terribly proud of it, it was a quick hack. I will send it to the moderator
of mod.mac.sources.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Once and for all: I like my Macintosh

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (08/27/86)

In article <243@unicus.UUCP> rae@unicus.UUCP (Clith de T'nir) writes:

>Does there
>exist some other utility (or perhaps a newer version of xbin) that allows
>one to translate binhex format files into MacBinary format files?

There is a program that converts the foo.{info,data,rsrc} files into a
MacBinary file called foo.bin.

Thus using xbin and macbin [the name of the program] in a shell script you can
do what you want.

As macbin is small [80 lines of C code] perhaps it might be worthwhile
reposting it for those that have missed it.

Yorick
--
   yorick@kbsc.uucp
   ..mcvax!ukc!hrc63!kbsc!yorick

  | Yorick Phoenix (Systems Support @ The Knowledge-Based Systems Centre) |

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (08/29/86)

In article <521@kbsc.UUCP> yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) writes:
>As macbin is small [80 lines of C code] perhaps it might be worthwhile
>reposting it for those that have missed it.

It has been reposted in mod.mac.sources.