[net.micro.mac] Uppity behavior creeping in...

hogan@rosevax.UUCP (Andy Hogan) (08/29/86)

Excerpting a couple recent posts:
>From: werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig)
>Subject: Re: Mac for SALE!
>
>... I'd advise my friends to refuse to pay more than $1000, especially as the
>400K drives are next to useless today.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Damn!  And here I am, using TWO of 'em whenever I use my Mac!

Really Werner, this is a bit prejudiced.  More below.....

>From: ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger)
>Subject: Re: Cheap ROM Upgrade for 512K Mac ??
>
>>  Come on APPLE you probably could have also offered just the ROM by itself !!
>
>... Who in world would want to run on a 400k internal and an 800k
>external, what a pain? sticking in a 800k Floppy, Can't read it asks to
>init it, accidently erase it. Or Have the data you need on a 800k floppy
>and you have the startup in the 800k and you can't use the internal and
>you need to keep the startup in the external to do whatever you might be doing.
>... It seems awfully dumb to me to want to stick to a dead horse in the slow
>400k disk drives, thats why Apple tied the roms to the disk drive, I think
>...Roms by themselves, sure it would work, but it would be a real pain to use
>and there are no advantages to doing so. Unless you like to mix Apple's &
>oranges with 400 & 800k disks, and then its only a matter of time before
>you mess up and lose something valuable ...
>
>Norm Goodger @Bridge Comm Sysop-MacInfo BBS.@415-795-8862 bridge2!ngg

To me, and undoubtedly many, many others, there would be a very real advantage:
money.  The upgrade would cost less, and my investment in an 'older' model
would not be quite as devalued.  Besides, if I'm stupid enough to lose several
hundred K of data by initializing a disk with files on it, that's a consequence
of MY choice to configure my system that way.  It's no more likely with this
combination of disk drives than any other.

***MILD FLAME FOLLOWS***

Both of these posts typify, in my view, a real trend by the 'hard-core'
Mac types to ignore machines that are not the 'state of the Mac art' and
ridicule or at least underrate the users of same.  I don't know ANYONE
personally that has upgraded to a Mac 512E or Mac Plus.  Many of us just
do not consider the hassle of these upgrades to be worth the improvement.
We don't use our Macs constantly.  We don't compile C programs.  We don't
consider a decrease of a few seconds in launch time to be worth several
hundred dollars.  We don't feel the need for systems with 25 fonts and 15
slick DA's.  We can't write off upgrades and hard disks as necessary
business expenses or get our employers to pay for them.  We are USERS, plain
Jane types who just want the Mac to do some tasks for us, or give us
access to electronic networks, or maybe just to play games on.  The old,
boring, and yes slightly too slow 512K Macs work very well for an awful
lot of us.

Sure, I'd LOVE to have a Mac with a Meg or two of RAM, a 40MB SCSI hard
disk (we use 'em here), a matching SCSI tape drive, and an 800K internal disk.
I'd also like a MIDI interface, and an 8 channel synthesizer, and all the
great sequencer and music composition software there is out there.  What the
heck, I'd like to have PageMaker and a Laserwriter to help my chorus put
out a good bulletin, too.  But, other things (like restoring an older home
and paying for it, etc.) are just more important to me now.  I don't have the
money to keep my Mac up to the latest state, and I won't for a long, long time.

So don't be so caught up in your wonderful machines and the great things they
can do that you forget about us that don't share such a single-minded devotion
to technology and computing.  Apple isn't selling all it's Mac production
to developers, corporations, and gurus.

**FLAME OFF**    Sorry this got a bit long.....

--
Notice how they do not so much fly, as plummet. {appropriate head movement}
                                    --Monty Python (Flying Sheep Sketch)

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/30/86)

I'm sorry, Andy felt that my statement (below) was disregarding the interest
of "the poor":

> >From: werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig)
> >Subject: Re: Mac for SALE!
> >
> >... I'd advise my friends to refuse to pay more than $1000, especially as the
> >400K drives are next to useless today.
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Really Werner, this is a bit prejudiced.  More below.....

I now feel that my phrasing was a bit unfortunate, and I would like to correct
it to read:

> >... I'd advise my friends to refuse to pay more than $1000, according to
> >the following calculation:
> >	dealer price of the CURRENT MODEL (i.e Mac+):	~1300
> > (minus) upgrade cost of MAC as sold to Mac+:	~ 300 (drive+ROM)
> >                                                       600 (1Meg board)
> >                                              ==============
> >                                                      $400
> >
> >	Close-out sales prices of ImageWriter-I        $150
> >	Value of a 400K used external drive		 $ 50

> >	Total value of package (in good repair)		 $600
> > (minus) cost of inspection to qualify for AppleCare  $ 50
> >                                               ==============
> >	Retail Value                                     $550
> >	Loan Value (70% max, 24 month at 16%)		 $385

Local pawn shops would, probably, pay even less than that.  (yes, I know,
we all dislike them.  but that's reality)  Now all I'd have to do, is put out
the word to the local pawn-shops that I'd buy used MACs, and for them to call
me when they have CLEAN merchandise, and I have no doubt that I'll get
something within a matter of a few weeks for less than $1000.

Face it, when you buy a new car, you lose 30% even before you start the
engine to drive off the lot.  With computers it must be 50%.  Annual
depreciation is 33%.  I think, especially a poor person, should not get
ripped off because of not knowing how to calculate like a banker or a merchant.
It's not their (poor persons) fault that used items loose value so quickly,
so why should they be willing to pay more? (and they frequently do)

I think, an OLD Mac is a great machine (and I am truely prejudiced) ....
It would have been worth more than a $1,000,000 fifteen years ago, it may be
worth that again a hundred years from now (as a collector's item).  but in the
meantime, .....

[ at this point, Mickey started to squeal miserably, and I had to assure him
 that, to me, he is priceless, and that I'd never give him away ...., besides,
 look at all the improvements: air-conditioning, stereo sound, video output,
 megabytes of RAM, SCSI-port ... heck, worth more than Minnie MacPlus over
 there .... shucks, I forgot she was connected and catching every word of this
 ... folks, I got to go, I have somewhat of an emergency here .... ]

zrm@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) (08/30/86)

FYI, the value of used Macintoshes is quite high. The Boston Computer
Exchange publishes the week's prices for a variety of used computers
each week in the Boston Bussiness Journal. These people broker a lot
of machines and their prices pretty accurately reflect market
conditions in major US cities (they broker all sizes of systems
worldwide).

This week, the prices are: Mac+ ~$1900; Mac 512k w/ 400k drive ~$1300;
Mac 128k ~$900. The price for the Mac+ is probably the least reliable
since the market for used ones is so tight.

This helps the po' folks selling their used equipement, keeps the
price of upgrades low becuase they have to compete against trade-ups,
and is something to show MIS directors to point out that the lifecycle
cost of a Macintosh is very low becuase of the good used value
compared with IBM PCs.

Happy hacking,
-Zigurd

Zigurd Mednieks
MURSU Corporation, P.O. Box 1894, Cambridge, MA 02138, (617) 522-9035

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/31/86)

In article <3057@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, zrm@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) writes:
> FYI, the value of used Macintoshes is quite high. The Boston Computer
> Exchange publishes the week's prices for a variety of used computers
>
> This week, the prices are: Mac+ ~$1900; Mac 512k w/ 400k drive ~$1300;
> Mac 128k ~$900. The price for the Mac+ is probably the least reliable
> since the market for used ones is so tight.

hmm, in today's Austin paper, ComputerCraft advertises a Labour Day Sale, with
MacPluses (NEW) at $1799 ...  (they also want you to buy either a printer/$499,
ext. 800k-drive/$399, or HyperDrive FX20 SCSI/$1199 - but I would like to see
the merchant that would refuse my $1799 staring him in the face ...)

Other interesting sales prices:

MacTilt/Swivel				$8.69
Pocket Pack Diskette Holder		$3.49
MainStreet				$29
FileVision				$48
Think Tank				$24
Dow Jones Straight Talk			$15

prices good until Sep 6, quantity at hand ...

the latter prices are, obviously, close-out sales, and, who knows, the company
may have cash-flow problems, but I still think the Boston Computer Exchange
prices must be those they charge to Libya ... (-:

mazlack@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (09/01/86)

Right on.  This is the same attitude that obsoletes existing Mac equipment
every few months.  So then, the question is, How many normal people want
to be forced to coninuously pour money into a system so that it is
compatible with newer stuff.  Likewise, why should anyone invest serious
money developing applications for long term Mac use if it doesn't offer
a serious, consistent environment that will allow for a reasonable payback?

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (09/02/86)

In article <3057@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> zrm@mit-eddie.UUCP (Zigurd R. Mednieks) writes:
>FYI, the value of used Macintoshes is quite high. The Boston Computer
>Exchange publishes the week's prices for a variety of used computers
>each week in the Boston Bussiness Journal. These people broker a lot
>of machines and their prices pretty accurately reflect market
>conditions in major US cities (they broker all sizes of systems
>worldwide).
>
>This week, the prices are: Mac+ ~$1900; Mac 512k w/ 400k drive ~$1300;
>Mac 128k ~$900. The price for the Mac+ is probably the least reliable
>since the market for used ones is so tight.

Are there people who prefer used machines over new ones for some
reason?  Or is there a shortage of Mac+s in Boston?  Here in
Southern California, *NEW* Mac+s go for ~$1900.  A MacE is around
1400.  What's going on?
--
"I *DO* believe in Mary Worth"

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim
		Compuserve: 72257,3706          Delphi || GEnie: mnementh

al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) (09/03/86)

> Excerpting a couple recent posts:
>
> Both of these posts typify, in my view, a real trend by the 'hard-core'
> Mac types to ignore machines that are not the 'state of the Mac art' and
> ridicule or at least underrate the users of same.

Hear, hear.  I use a 128K Mac.  It has performed beautifully for years.  The
first year I only had one disk drive.  Then I got a 10Mbyte hard disk.  I'm
finally forced to upgrade memory in order to run Light Speed C.  In any
case, I did a lot of useful work with a hoplessly outdated machine for a long
time.  Staying state of the art is prohibitive financially.  Most of
the high performance upgrades are things people want, but seldom really
need - particularly if you pay for it out of your own pocket.

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) (09/04/86)

> ***MILD FLAME FOLLOWS***
>
> Both of these posts typify, in my view, a real trend by the 'hard-core'
> Mac types to ignore machines that are not the 'state of the Mac art' and
> ridicule or at least underrate the users of same.  I don't know ANYONE
> personally that has upgraded to a Mac 512E or Mac Plus.  Many of us just
> do not consider the hassle of these upgrades to be worth the improvement.
> We don't use our Macs constantly.  We don't compile C programs.  We don't
> consider a decrease of a few seconds in launch time to be worth several
> hundred dollars.  We don't feel the need for systems with 25 fonts and 15
> slick DA's.  We can't write off upgrades and hard disks as necessary
> business expenses or get our employers to pay for them.  We are USERS, plain
> Jane types who just want the Mac to do some tasks for us, or give us
> access to electronic networks, or maybe just to play games on.  The old,
> boring, and yes slightly too slow 512K Macs work very well for an awful
> lot of us.
> Sure, I'd LOVE to have a Mac with a Meg or two of RAM, a 40MB SCSI hard
> disk (we use 'em here), a matching SCSI tape drive, and an 800K internal disk.
> I'd also like a MIDI interface, and an 8 channel synthesizer, and all the
> great sequencer and music composition software there is out there.  What the
> heck, I'd like to have PageMaker and a Laserwriter to help my chorus put
> out a good bulletin, too.  But, other things (like restoring an older home
> and paying for it, etc.) are just more important to me now.  I don't have the
 money to keep my Mac up to the latest state, and I won't for a long, long time.
> So don't be so caught up in your wonderful machines and the great things they
> can do that you forget about us that don't share such a single-minded devotion
> to technology and computing.  Apple isn't selling all it's Mac production
> to developers, corporations, and gurus.
> **FLAME OFF**    Sorry this got a bit long.....
> Andy Hogan   Rosemount, Inc.   Mpls MN
> path: ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!mmm!rosevax!hogan

It seems to me that the whole upgrade picture is being blown out of proportion.

In the above "flame" Mr. Hogan seems to be confused as he starts by claiming
that he is a "plain-jane user", then procedes to wish for every concievable
upgrade to his Mac that any user could ever wish for. And his last paragraph
was the most confusing. It was hard to tell what he didn't want us to be caught
up in? It was either the upgrade schemes of Apple or he thinks that every Mac
user that wishes to upgrade has to be a developer or corporation, or a Mac
guru I guess. Maybe the confusion lies in where he thinks that the rest of
us that enjoy our Macs and use them on a daily basis, ie. "Hard Core Mac
Types" feel about our Macs and why we like them enough to stay current with the
upgrades. I feel that staying current, allows me to use my Mac
to the fullest, and those that feel that the upgrade paths are to expensive or
not worth it are either satisfied with the way the Mac works for them as is, or
do not understand the advantages that the upgrade may offer them. Then of
course, I am sure, there are those that are cheap and wouldn't consider an
upgrade merely on the basis of cost thinking that Apple should give all this
stuff away, and they deserve it because they were the first ones to purchase
a Mac at the original retail prices. Well I happen to think that Apple has
made some mistakes, they are not perfect. I feel that recently the Mac-plus
upgrades were fairly priced. I feel that $299 for an 800k drive and the New
roms is fair, considering that some dealers sold them for less, usually
around $260. sometimes less. Mac Plus Logic board, a little overpriced in my
opinion, but fair in the distinction between 128k and 512k owners. THere are
so many 3rd party upgrades available for memory today, and some are real good
and won't even void your Apple warranty so you still have options on more
memory over getting the MAC+ logic bd.

All in all, I think that Mr. Hogan' "Flame" makes little sense and has no
validity in the light of common sense for upgrades and the
reasoning behind it. At least Apple offers upgrades to allow users
to stay  current with their technology, many DON"T.