[net.micro.mac] Unix Based BBS

milo@ndmath.uucp (Greg Corson) (09/01/86)

I run a Unix Based multiline BBS system which features a wide variety of
discussion groups (over 50) on various computer and non-computer topics.  We
also feature a download section with good support for Commodore and Macintosh
computers (with growing support for the Amiga and Atari ST).  The system is up
24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 5 telephone lines.  All lines support both
300 and 1200 baud communications.

In addition to the BBS and downloads we currently have a game of "old empire"
on line.  Anyone may play but the game is limited to 32 players and currently
has a short waiting list.  For info on empire checkout net.games.empire.

Obviously a system of this size is not cheap to keep running so we do charge a
monthly fee of $5 which goes towards paying the phone company (those business
lines are expensive!), maintaining the hardware and slowly paying off the
purchase price of the computer & modems and other expenses.  The monthly fee
may go up somewhat in the comming months because of telephone rate hikes, call
the BBS for current information.

We have one of our phone lines available for limited free use by nonsubscribers
who want to see what our system looks like.  The line allows you to look at all
our current discussion groups and our download section...but you may not write
messages or download programs without a subscription.

The free demo number is (219) 277-5825  300/1200 baud  24 hours

If you want to subscribe please try to call the free demo number and read the
introduction to the system first.  We normally do not acknowledge the recept
of a subscription other than by crediting it to your account (at these prices
we can't afford to phone or write everyone).  If you need a recept please send
a stamped self-addressed envlope.

NOTE
Please don't flame me for a "commercial posting" the system described above
just makes enough money to pay the operational expenses, it's not really a
commercial venture (it doesn't make a profit or pay me a salary).  The system
was originally intended to be developed into a national on-line service like
Compuserve or Genie but we have not been able to locate anyone interested in
investing in the project yet (hint-hint anyone interested?)

The software is for sale <this bit is a little commercial but I include it
because everyone always asks> but only as a custom-installed system taylored
to a particular applications needs.  (it's great for customer support systems)

If you send me net mail please use the address below, don't mail to the address
in the article header, or your mail might get lost.

Greg Corson
Kangaroo Koncepts, Inc.
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
Voice phone (weekdays till 5:00 pm): (219) 277-5306

UUCP: {pur-ee | seismo}!iuvax!kangaro!milo

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (09/02/86)

In article <135@ndmath.uucp> milo@ndmath.uucp (Greg Corson) writes:
>I run a Unix Based multiline BBS system
>
>Obviously a system of this size is not cheap to keep running so we do charge a
>monthly fee of $5 which goes towards paying the phone company (those business
>lines are expensive!), maintaining the hardware and slowly paying off the
>purchase price of the computer & modems and other expenses.  The monthly fee
>may go up somewhat in the comming months because of telephone rate hikes, call
>the BBS for current information.
>We have one of our phone lines available for limited free use by nonsubscribers
>who want to see what our system looks like.
>
>Greg Corson
>Kangaroo Koncepts, Inc.
>19141 Summers Drive
>South Bend, IN 46637
>Voice phone (weekdays till 5:00 pm): (219) 277-5306
>
>UUCP: {pur-ee | seismo}!iuvax!kangaro!milo

	I, too, run a Public access UN*X system.  It has been running
over two years now.  It consists of an AT&T 3b2/300 with 8 phone
lines.  We run the PicoSpan conferencing system (The same program
The WELL runs) plus full access to UNIX.  4 of the lines are available
to any interested person, with access to UNIX, and PicoSpan.  Guests do
not have access to usenet or off site mail.  There are
also two contributor only lines.  Contributors ($50 a year) have
access to off site mail (uucp) and usenet.  I also have two dedicated
uucp lines. ( I feed news to a number of large sites).  All modems
are 300/1200/2400 baud.

Main guest number is 312 283-0559.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

wmd@kran.UUCP (09/04/86)

I'd mention something about my UNIX bbs system but since my traffic goes through
Purdue University and the news administrators there do not like my system, I
can't.  They censor anything I or anything my users write to the net that they
mention my system by name or telephone number.  What can I do?

Malcolm Duncan
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX <-censored BBS name
9999999999999999999 <-censored telephone number
@$&^%@*^@#*&@^*&^@  <-censored comment as to the parentage of some news tsars.

$20 this don't make it to the net...

DMB@PSUVMA.BITNET (09/12/86)

Why don't you binhex the numbers and upload it.