[net.micro.mac] Micah Failure HELP!

phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) (09/11/86)

Hello everybody,

   I just had a problem with my MicahDrive (AT-20).

   I decided to reforat my Micahdrive because I was getting low on space
and my disk was getting VERY fragmented, so....

   I backed up all the files to 26 floppies using HFS Backup, everything
there is a ok.

   Then I booted a floppy with MicahManager 1.55 on it to reformat my Drive.
I said Format/scan/repair, it put up a dialog saying 'This will destroy all
data on the disk", I clicked OK.

   Then it should have put up a window showing where it was in the format.
Instead, the 'Initialize/Test' main menu item was still highlited (ie, thinking
it was executing something) and the cursor changed to a watch, but no format.

   I let it 'run' for 4 hours just to be sure, then killed it (rebooted), and
tried again, this time MicahManager said 'Cannot find disk size configuration
tables, cannot continue', and cleared all the options but FORMAT/SCAN/REPAIR.

   I clicked this and it sat (like the first time) overnight without formatting.

   Does anyone have an idea about this???  It seems to have clobbered the disk
but sat in a loop somewhere at the beginning of the format.

   By the way, the firmware is 1/86 206 on the SCSI board.  Micah said to try
another MICAHMANAGER program, seems unlikely, but I will try tonight.

Phil Hunt
..calma!sivax!phil

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (09/13/86)

In article <333@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:

>   I just had a problem with my MicahDrive (AT-20).
>   Does anyone have an idea about this???  It seems to have clobbered the disk
>but sat in a loop somewhere at the beginning of the format.

You might try a "directory rebuild".  You do this by holding down the
command and option keys upon boot-up.  Alternately, try booting with a
floppy, and when you see "Welcome to Macintosh", hold down the mouse
button.  These are two ways to do a "directory rebuild".

Basically your rebuilding the directory file structure.  You'll lose
all the names of everything (not that you care, you've backed up
the damn disk anyway with HFS Backup).  From there you'll (hopefully)
be able to re-initialize it, and restore your files.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		       "Fred Astaire?  Heck, Ginger Rogers did
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			  everything he did, backwards,
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            and in high heels!"

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/16/86)

I had just such a dead Micah ruin my sleep for about 1 week, and last week
I had scheduled an investigation into the problem with a knowledgable
friend.

We took the drive assembly out and tried it with replacement power-supply and
could not make it work.  However, we noticed that the drive did not seem to
spin, so we took it apart further but ran into some "special screws" holding
the logic board in place (star-shaped, with 'bells and whistles' so we
proceeded to remove the metal frame of the drive assembly.  Then, with the
rubber-end of a pencil, we move the drive a little and where surprised to
find that the drive spun quite easily, rather than finding the brakes stuck.

So we hooked it up to power and, to our surprise, everything worked
fine again.  I went ahead and backed up the drive to tape which worked fine.
Even though it seemed to be working fine, it will go back to Micah, of course
(would you trust it?).  Of course, Micah had been of no help when I had
called them, but then what hardware manufacturer (or better, assembler) have
you known that would encourage you to do what we did?