[net.micro.mac] How to Spend Money?

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (09/16/86)

Well, I have a few extra bucks to spend, and a lot of water has
gone under the proverbial bridge since I bought my 512K mac a couple
of years ago.  There are two obvious paths to take at this point,
but I don't think I want to spend the money doing both...

1) I can upgrade my Mac to a Mac+ (possible memory upgrade)
2) I can buy some variety of hard disk.

I see the following points:

(favoring upgrade)
Increasing amount of software that wants to live with the new
roms (Servant, for example, right?).

Increased 800k disk drives.

SCSI port to support a *later* hard disk addition (the best hard
disks are SCSIfied nowadays).

(favoring disk)
A Mac+ isn't terribly interesting without a hard disk.

Things like C compilers, public domain M2 compilers, TeX, and the like
are very painful to use without plenty of disk space.

I'm a lot more tired of swapping diskettes around than I am
perturbed by the slow but sure demise of the vanilla 512K Mac.

(other considerations)

I should wait until after the usual price shakeup and product
announcements that happen every January.

ThunderScan won't work on a Mac+ because the printer port doesn't
have a power pin any more (is this true?).

My 400k external floppy gets trashed/sold either way, doesn't it?

So...what do people think I oughta do, and why?
IMPORTANT NOTE: send your reply to ME, not the whole net.  I'll
summarize responses if there are many.
--

   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) (09/19/86)

In article <952@spp2.UUCP> urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) writes:

>ThunderScan won't work on a Mac+ because the printer port doesn't
>have a power pin any more (is this true?).

	Mike - I posted this, to clear up a Thunderscan misconception.

	Yes, Thunderscan will work on a Mac+; they give you a little
	box &transformer, plus some cables which make it all happen.

	If you already have Thunder scan, drop them a note; If you buy it,
	you can get it with or without the conversion stuff.

--
| Michael Mc Namara                 |  MM MM MM    OO   SSS   AAA   II  CCCC  |