[net.micro.mac] Drop in Mac+ price in Canada

hofbauer@utcsri.UUCP (John Hofbauer) (09/18/86)

Apple Canada dropped the Canadian list price for the Mac+
from $4195 to $3695. Can this be interpreted as an indication
that a new Mac is around the corner? I want *RUMOURS*!!!

chuq@plaid.sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/21/86)

In article <3376@utcsri.UUCP> hofbauer@utcsri.UUCP (John Hofbauer) writes:
>Apple Canada dropped the Canadian list price for the Mac+
>from $4195 to $3695. Can this be interpreted as an indication
>that a new Mac is around the corner? I want *RUMOURS*!!!

Doubtful.  Apple won't announce a new Mac this close to Christmas if they
already haven't, and it won't happen until far enough beyond Christmas to
keep the shoppers happy -- the IIGS announcement ought to be the last one
until at least February or March.

Apple announced price reductions on the Mac line & Laserwriter with the new
Apple II machine.  Why?  Two reasons, most likely.  One, they're selling a
LOT of Macs.  Sales of the Mac+ well exceed expectations.  This allows them
to utilize more of the capacity of their manufacturing plant in Fremont,
lowering manufacturing costs.  It also lets them spread fixed cost
(marketing and the like) across more machines.  The more Mac's they sell,
the less if costs per Mac to make, to some degree.  Also, the new IIGS is
in some ways competitive in the Mac market -- it not only throws a clinker
at the Atari/Amiga people, but that the people that might have bought in at
the low end of the Mac market.  Lowering the price reduces this
cannibalization by keeping the Mac competitive with the II family.   In
general, I think the reductions are just Apple's way of staying competitive
and keeping the opposition on its toes.  Don't expect anything more from
them until next year.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq%plaid@sun.COM	 Delphi: CHUQ
		{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!plaid!chuq

While the master parable-teller lies mortally wounded, he wonders how he
ever expected to establish a moral link between Billy Idol and Penguins.
Meanwhile, the world turns foolishly on and ants tickle his butt.