[net.micro.mac] HFS Backup help needed {Here I come, to save the day....}

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (09/23/86)

In article <313@hydra.riacs.ARPA> julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez) writes:
>Has anyone picked apart the file formats and naming schemes for
>HFS Backup files? I would like to recover files without the
>directory file this program writes.

What a coincidence.  I was having the same problem, so I called the creators
of HFS Backup and found a program called Restore which "decodes" the files
individually.  I checked with the people at PCPC and they said it was OK to
post Restore, so I will (to both net.sources.mac and to mod.mac.binaries),
and I'll mail a copy to you, Julian.

It's not a great program (the disk absolutely HAS to be named Backup #n),
but it does the job, and it makes HFS Backup completely viable.

                        "He who uses an 8088 will be reincarnated as one."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA:  fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.EDU
UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO: You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...