[net.micro.mac] multiple modems on a mac?

allison@convexs.UUCP (09/22/86)

I've got a question for all you mac-types: how easy is it to get a maca mac
to work with multiple modems simultaneously?  For example, suppose you
wanted to run a simple bulletin board off of a mac with 4 phone lines.
Since there are only two serial ports, you'd obviously need some hardware
doo-dad that would allow you to connect more than one device to your serial
port.  Does something like this exist?  If so, what is the cost?

The other question is this: is a mac really suited for an application like
this, or would I be better off with something else?  Any input would be
much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!!

Brian Allison         {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!allison
Convex Computer Corp.
Richardson, TX

bezanson@gumby.WISC.EDU (Brian Bezanson) (09/24/86)

In article <27000020@convexs>, allison@convexs.UUCP writes:

> I've got a question for all you mac-types: how easy is it to get a maca mac
> to work with multiple modems simultaneously?  For example, suppose you
> wanted to run a simple bulletin board off of a mac with 4 phone lines.
> Since there are only two serial ports, you'd obviously need some hardware
> doo-dad that would allow you to connect more than one device to your serial
> port.  Does something like this exist?  If so, what is the cost?
>
> The other question is this: is a mac really suited for an application like
> this, or would I be better off with something else?  Any input would be
> much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!!

Brian,
  Having run a Mac BBS for 8 months, I have found that without any great
  advances in general BBS software (reference to Scott Watson's Red Ryder
  Host system, a mac is rather wasted as a BBS since it is only doing
  a simple operation (BBS's aren't that machine dependant - if at all).
  The big promise of the Mac BBS was that one day we would see a Mac'ish
  interface on both ends.  That hasn't appeared yet, so there is no big
  Mac advantage.  You could write your own software for two lines on the
  mac (correct me if I am wrong on this - I know you will anyway).  It is
  more beneficial (financially) to run a multi-line BBS off of an Apple
  // or cheap PC clone.  Both have been out long enough to see some decent
  software appear, and they have slots for plenty of modems (the // line
  has a 6-line conferencing system available for it.  The mac has a lot more
  power than to be dedicated to running a BBS.  If it was complex enough to
  merit the macs hardware, then I could see running it with a mac.

  The MouseHole is a major mac BBS and it is running 2-psuedo lines (one
  for messages and one for downloads).  Last time I called the message
  system was running on an Apple //+ and the downloa section on a TRS80-III.
  I ran my BBS off of my MacXL that I originally had.  I left it on all
  night anyway, so why not make it useful.

  Hope that helps in your decision.  Of course all this will probably be
  altered at the January San Francisco Apple MacWorld, when the new Mac
  should be introduced.

 Brian Bezanson                           MCI Mail: MANTA
 Manta Software Corporation               CompuServe: 72356,475
					  bezanson@gumby.wisc.edu

--
Brian Bezanson {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!puff!bezanson
Manta Software Corp.	  "     "     "     "    "       !gumby!bezanson