[net.micro.mac] Scroller / pager

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (09/25/86)

>Larry Rosenstein writes:
>What about the scroll and paging arrows?  On the Mac, a scroll bar consists
>of 5 parts: up/down arrows (scroll by a small amt), up/down pagers (scroll
>by screenful), and scroll box (random access scrolling).  Proportional
>gadgets sound like just the last of these.

Actually it's the last three of these.  Mousing the "knob" lets you move
it continuously, mousing the "box" on either side moves the knob by one
knob-width.  The application typically sizes the knob to represent one
screenful.  It gets messages whenever the gadget is hit and has to update
its display accordingly.  The gadget display is handled by Intuition.
If you also want small-scroll gadgets, yes you need to create a Boolean
gadget at either end of the proportional one.  The gadget needn't fill
the entire border; you can put in a text display beside the scroller if
you wish.  Gadget resizing (I think) the application must handle upon being
notified that the window size is changing.

	Charles Poirier