[net.micro.mac] Servant 0.79 useability...

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (09/24/86)

Knowing that Servant 0.79 is buggy, I hesitate to comitt my 20 Megabyte hard
disk to its potential ravagings.  However, I'd LIKE to use Servant as my
normal shell due to its (even current) functionality.

My question is: Is anyone using Servant to that degree, and has it been
save to do so.  (Although I do back up my disk regularly, I don't relish
restoring it.)

Jeff

jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) (09/25/86)

In article <5518@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>Knowing that Servant 0.79 is buggy, I hesitate to comitt my 20 Megabyte hard
>disk to its potential ravagings.  However, I'd LIKE to use Servant as my
>normal shell due to its (even current) functionality.

Don't do it - it self destructs on October 31. Just set your clock ahead and
you'll see what will happen. Might leave your hard disk in a mess!!

I've run it on a SCSI Peak Plus-30 though with only limited problems-nothing
lost or corrupted.
--
John VanMunster, Apple Support Coordinator     (512) 440-2015
Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. 78735-8598

hazen@puff.wisc.edu (Tim Hazen) (09/26/86)

In article <777@oakhill.UUCP>, jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) writes:
> In article <5518@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
> >Knowing that Servant 0.79 is buggy, I hesitate to comitt my 20 Megabyte hard
> >disk to its potential ravagings.  However, I'd LIKE to use Servant as my
> >normal shell due to its (even current) functionality.
> >
> Don't do it - it self destructs on October 31. Just set your clock ahead and
> you'll see what will happen. Might leave your hard disk in a mess!!

There is already a set of patches floating around (I have them) to remove
the 'pumpkin' feature.  Still, it is NOT wise to do more than just play with
Servant.  Remember, this is BETA software.  You don't know what might happen.
Servant almost always trashes itself when it crashes, and I wouldn't want it
to take my hard disk with it.

Tim Hazen  		{seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!puff!hazen
U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.    			  hazen@puff.wisc.edu
PLASMAHACKER@WISCPSL.BITNET {@wiscvm.wisc.edu}