[net.micro.mac] Talking Moose

gcc@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg Croasdill [KSCA,GdS]) (09/18/86)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MOOSE ***

G'Day!

I've been trying to alter the sayings used by the DA Talking Moose and
have been having no success.  All the thing will say is error, even when I
retype exactly what is in the item above.  Do I need a newer version of
ResEdit, I'm using d12, or is there some formatting that I am missing??

I need all the help I can get.
Thanks GregC  ({out-there....}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!gcc)

(A Moose once bit my System..)
--
GregC    UUCP^ (uw-beaver|fluke)!ssc-vax!gcc
         ARPA^ ssc-vax!gcc@uw-beaver

"Beware of a fork in the road or a knife in the water, or for that matter
      any Polish film with subtitles...."
                                         _The Profit_
                                          Kehlog Albran

(*I  standard_disclaimer.IPAS *)

st94wb@sdcc12.UUCP (wade blomgren) (09/24/86)

In article <878@ssc-vax.UUCP>, gcc@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg Croasdill [KSCA,GdS]) writes:
> I've been trying to alter the sayings used by the DA Talking Moose and
> have been having no success.  All the thing will say is error, even when I
> retype exactly what is in the item above.  Do I need a newer version of
> ResEdit, I'm using d12, or is there some formatting that I am missing??

I'm not sure why you get an error when duplicating 'the line above', but
I have been able to alter or introduce new phrases by using a hacked up
version of the TML Pascal speech demo program which displays the
phoneme translation of a phrase. It is, needless to say, important that
your new phrase follow the phoneme rules, which to me seems pretty tough
to do manually. So, anyhow, I have just entered the new phoneme phrases
using ResEdit version 1.0 d7. I think it even worked without putting the
".#" which appears to be at the end of the other phrases. The place where
I added phrases was in the 'Pause' section as opposed to the 'Hello',
'Turn On', or 'Turn Off' sections.

Wade Blomgren
UCSD-ACS
....!sdcsvax!sdacs!wade

> I need all the help I can get.
> Thanks GregC  ({out-there....}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!gcc)
>

> (A Moose once bit my System..)
> --
> GregC    UUCP^ (uw-beaver|fluke)!ssc-vax!gcc
>          ARPA^ ssc-vax!gcc@uw-beaver
>          SCA^  Syr Aweiodian aef Crawansdale, Earl Marshal An Tir
>
> "Beware of a fork in the road or a knife in the water, or for that matter
>       any Polish film with subtitles...."
>                                          _The Profit_
>                                           Kehlog Albran
>
> (*I  standard_disclaimer.IPAS *)

st94wb@sdcc12.UUCP (wade blomgren) (09/24/86)

I know, I forgot to delete "unescessary verbiage" [sic].

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/29/86)

Really, if you're going to play with MacinTalk (which, by the way, may well
not be supported on the new Macs), then take an hour to learn the phonemic
language.  It really is perfectly simple.  What's hard is the intonation
values, which often just won't come out right to make a question, an
exclamation, or whatever it is you're trying to emulate.  Don't use
automatic translators, there's no need.
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)

dwb@well.UUCP (David W. Berry) (09/29/86)

In article <1144@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Really, if you're going to play with MacinTalk (which, by the way, may well
>not be supported on the new Macs), then take an hour to learn the phonemic
>language.  It really is perfectly simple.  What's hard is the intonation
>values, which often just won't come out right to make a question, an
>exclamation, or whatever it is you're trying to emulate.  Don't use
>automatic translators, there's no need.
And while you're at it, if you are going to program a Mac don't waste
your time learning ho to use those assemblers and compilers which are so
predominant out there.  They're just a waste of time after all.  Just
learn the 68K opcodes, get a copy of FEdit and away you go.
>--
>Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
>{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)
>hoptoad!tim@lll-crg (arpa)
        David W. Berry
	"701 Menker Ave, #1 ; San Jose, CA.  95128-2876".USNail
	dwb@well.uucp               dwb@Delphi
	dwb@GEnie                   293-0752@408.MaBell
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi
	dwb@GEnie                       293-0752@408.MaBell

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/29/86)

David, if you can learn how to program in hexadecimal machine code in one
hour, then my congratulations.  But if not, then the analogy is rather weak.
The Macintalk phonemic language really is tremendously simple; and the
frequent statements in the documentation, that you would do better to learn
it and write directly in it than to switch back and forth between some
auto-translation program and the Resource Editor (using the phonemic
language directly to fix up the auto-translator's errors), turned out to be
accurate when I actually did it.  I was surprised too!
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)
hoptoad!tim@lll-crg (arpa)

DMB@PSUVMA.BITNET (10/02/86)

    Well, since no seemingly knows the answer to this one, all I can say is
I get the same exact problems as you do. Except that if i retype exactly what
was in there originally it works. It would be nice if you could have an
"unlimited" number of wisecracks (with str# there is no real reason why you
couldn't).  Anybody know?

                         dave