[net.micro.mac] MacinTalk

royt@gatech.CSNET (Roy M Turner) (07/29/85)

Well, I haven't bought the "final software supplement" for two reasons--
I didn't know anything about it until reading about it recently in this
newsgroup (I am only lately a Mac owner), and I wouldn't have had the
money for it even if I had!  But what I would like to know is, Is there any
way for me to get the speech software by itself (I think it was called
speechlab, macintalk, and something else (?)), either for free (hope, hope!)
or for money?

If anyone knows about this, or can point me to someone who does know,
please send me mail.

Thanks in advance.

Roy
--
Roy M Turner
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/30/85)

If you've got a Compuserve account, you can download it from Compuserve,
although it'll cost you money for the connect time.  The Software Supplement
files are in DL #8 of the Mac Developers SIG.  If you tried to download all
of them, it would cost you more than Apple wants for the Supplement, but if
you just want a few files it won't cost that much.

Why don't I post my copy of Macintalk to the net?  Because Apple has put
notices on all of the Supplement files saying basically "you can download
this stuff for personal use, but you can't give it to anyone else without
our permission".

                                        -- Thomas Newton
                                           Thomas.Newton@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA

billau@hou2h.UUCP (#W.AU) (09/11/86)

Is MacinTalk in public domain?  If so, could someone please
send me a copy?  Thanks.

Bill Au
..!ihnp4!hou2h!billau

sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor) (09/11/86)

> Is MacinTalk in public domain?  If so, could someone please
> send me a copy?  Thanks.
>

> Bill Au
> ..!ihnp4!hou2h!billau

Sorry, Macintalk is NOT public domain.  You will have to get it from your
"authorized Apple dealer" in the form of one of the software supplements.

Steve Hawley
joevax!sdh

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (09/14/86)

In article <270@joevax.UUCP> sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor) writes:
+---------------
| > Is MacinTalk in public domain?  If so, could someone please
| > send me a copy?  Thanks.
| >

| > Bill Au
| > ..!ihnp4!hou2h!billau
|
| Sorry, Macintalk is NOT public domain.  You will have to get it from your
| "authorized Apple dealer" in the form of one of the software supplements.
+---------------

Or get it from Compuserve or Delphi.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

I got tired of my old signature.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/15/86)

As far as MacinTalk is concerned, is Apple at all serious about this
product?  Does anyone know?  There has been no upgrade since the initial
release, which as I recall was in Spring or Summer 1985.  I have seen only
two applications which use it, neither of them well, and neither of them
from Apple.  First, the Talking Moose desk accessory, which periodically
causes a poorly animated moose to appear on your screen, say something
unfunny [unless you program it yourself], and then vanish, leaving you
wishing you had turned it off; and second, Servant, which has a thoroughly
obnoxious talk mode that speaks the name of any file you select and so
forth, using no dictionary file so that most of the names are horribly
garbled, and slowing the most basic operations down by a factor of four or
more.  Great stuff, eh?

The MacinTalk voice also violates the most basic rule of Macintosh software:
it is not aesthetically pleasing.  In fact, it grates.  Badly.  Very, very
badly.  It is totally un-natural sounding, and often hours of fiddling does
not suffice to create a proper pattern of intonation for a sentence.

So has Apple dropped this turkey or what?
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot and Self-Assigner of Pretentious Titles
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)

"Little people, with tiny brains; little bullets flowing in their veins!
What do they want?  They want you!" - Oingo Boingo, "Tiny Guns"

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (09/15/86)

In article <1090@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
+---------------
| As far as MacinTalk is concerned, is Apple at all serious about this
| product?  Does anyone know?  There has been no upgrade since the initial
| release, which as I recall was in Spring or Summer 1985.
+---------------
It isn't a product. Apple provides it to developers as a method of
using another aspect of the Macintosh. How well it works depends on the
developer, not MacIntalk.
+---------------
| two applications which use it, neither of them well, and neither of them
| from Apple.  First, the Talking Moose desk accessory, which periodically
+---------------
1. Apple created a demo application for it.
2. VMCO (Visual Maug Conference) on Compuserve uses it and allows
	programming a large variety of the voice attibutes.
3. VCO is a similar program for use on one of the other networks (Delphi?).
(2. & 3.) are useless when not used on their own respective network.
4. Captain Magneto.
I'm sure there are more.
+---------------
| causes a poorly animated moose to appear on your screen, say something
| unfunny [unless you program it yourself], and then vanish, leaving you
| wishing you had turned it off; and second, Servant, which has a thoroughly
| obnoxious talk mode that speaks the name of any file you select and so
| forth, using no dictionary file so that most of the names are horribly
| garbled, and slowing the most basic operations down by a factor of four or
| more.  Great stuff, eh?
+---------------
Didn't you notice that 0.79 Beta, Buggy, and not finished notice?
+---------------
| The MacinTalk voice also violates the most basic rule of Macintosh software:
| it is not aesthetically pleasing.  In fact, it grates.  Badly.  Very, very
| badly.  It is totally un-natural sounding, and often hours of fiddling does
| not suffice to create a proper pattern of intonation for a sentence.
+---------------
I thought the most basic rule of Macintosh programming was user, not
programmer friendliness.
+---------------
| So has Apple dropped this turkey or what?
+---------------
Only the shadow knows.
--

sba@aaec.OZ (Sal Barbagallo) (09/22/86)

In article <13008@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
> In article <270@joevax.UUCP> sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor) writes:
>
> | Sorry, Macintalk is NOT public domain.  You will have to get it from your
> | "authorized Apple dealer" in the form of one of the software supplements.
>
>> Or get it from Compuserve or Delphi.

Actually Capt Magneto came bundled with it when it was posted to the net
some time ago.

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (09/24/86)

Does anyone have source to glue?  I don't care what language it's for,
but I'm trying to write some glue from scratch, since the
interface is not documented....
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (09/25/86)

In article <698@aaec.OZ> sba@aaec.OZ (Sal Barbagallo) writes:
+---------------
| In article <13008@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
| > In article <270@joevax.UUCP> sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor) writes:
| >
| > | Sorry, Macintalk is NOT public domain.  You will have to get it from your
| > | "authorized Apple dealer" in the form of one of the software supplements.
| >
| >> Or get it from Compuserve or Delphi.
|
| Actually Capt Magneto came bundled with it when it was posted to the net
| some time ago.
+---------------

We were trying to forget that.
--
 Jim Budler                                   X   X
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                  X X

Signature, what signature? I'll make my mark!!

bill@dayton.UUCP (bill) (10/03/86)

From uucp Thu Oct  2 17:57 EDT 1986
>From kevin  Thu Oct  2 17:57:28 1986 remote from lawson

Bill,
  I'm desperately looking for a symbolic integrator for the Macintosh.
I'd really appreciate it if you could send a plea on my behalf over the net.
 -K

--
UUCP: ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!bill         Bill Argyros
ATT:  (612) 375-2816                    Dayton-Hudson Dept. Store. Co.