[net.micro.mac] Disk/File Server/Sharing Programs For the Mac

leeke@cascade.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (10/04/86)

Does anyone have any recommendations for file/disk server programs?  I would
simply like to have two Mac's hooked up on AppleTalk and be able to move files
back and forth between the hard disks - do I need MacServe or Tops or is there
a cheaper alternative?

Steve Leeke
--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@cascade.stanford.edu

Disclaimer: I disclaim any knowledge of the above message and its contents.

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/06/86)

In article <213@cascade.STANFORD.EDU>, leeke@cascade.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
> Does anyone have any recommendations for file/disk server programs?  I would
> simply like to have two Mac's hooked up on AppleTalk and be able to move files
> back and forth between the hard disks - do I need MacServe or Tops or is there
> a cheaper alternative?

I don't know if you'd consider the following to be "too much hassle", but ...

1)  hook the 2 MACs together with a null-modem cable

2) run a communications program on both (either in a Switcher partition, or,
        better, as a DA in the background - like BackDown, the background
        Xmodem downloader, which is ShareWare)

VOILA !!!

        Cheers,                 ---Werner