[net.micro.mac] SuperPaint

rjs@cuuxe.UUCP (Richard J. Straka) (09/17/86)

(line eater)

I was recently at the CEPS show in Boston, and saw a pre-release version of
SuperPaint from Silicon Beach.  It appears to be a powerful package deserving
serious consideration as a replacement for MacPaint.  It is scheduled for
release in mid-October, 1986.

Basic features:

Full screen editing
Multiple open files
2 layers: one for bit mode graphics, one for objects
Objects can be converted into bit mode, and vice versa
3 levels of magnification (2x, 4x, 8x)
Reduced View mode
All drawing tools have auto-scrolling
Selectable center point origin mode for circles (the way I like to draw them)
  and for squares
Editable text (just 1 font, style per object for now, like MacDraw)
File formats:	SuperPaint
		MacDraw PICT
		MacPaint
Multiple copies can be printed
LaserWriter support:	LaserBits(TM): 300dpi fatbits (implemented with
			  linked data files)
			Access to LaserWriter grays (via multiple pallette)
Compatible with large screen displays

It demo'ed quite well, and as I *understand* is not a real memory hog.
It isn't the last word for this kind of program, but it's a good start, and
Silicon Beach seems to be hard at work to continue enhancing it.

Best news of *all*, it's reasonably inexpensive, with a suggested list of $99.

Rich Straka     ihnp4!cuuxe!rjs

PS: Usual disclaimers apply.

sba@aaec.OZ (Sal Barbagallo) (09/23/86)

In article <189@cuuxe.UUCP>, rjs@cuuxe.UUCP (Richard J. Straka) writes:
> (line eater)
>
> I was recently at the CEPS show in Boston, and saw a pre-release version of
> SuperPaint from Silicon Beach.  It appears to be a powerful package deserving
> serious consideration as a replacement for MacPaint.  It is scheduled for
> release in mid-October, 1986.

sal

ix21@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (David Whiteman) (10/06/86)

I just saw SuperPaint, a new product soon to be released from
Silicon Beach Software, at the Mac users group meeting here,
and I wanted to share some impressions.
SuperPaint is designed to be a replacement for both MacPaint and
MacDraw and be the graphics program for the Mac.  I can't compare
the program to Fullpaint as I never saw Fullpaint in operation.

Basically SuperPaint is two programs in one; it has both a paint
mode in which you draw on a bit mapped image, and there is a draw
mode in which you draw separate objects which you can move around,
group and ungroup, and move front and back.  Both the paint screen
and the draw screen are superimposed -- the screen which appears
frontmost is the mode you are in, and you can switch back and forth
between the two modes.  You can also print or save in either mode.

There are many features that SuperPaint has that MacDraw and
MacPaint don't.  For example SuperPaint will let you draw objects
that center around a point automatically.  It also treats text like
text unlike in MacPaint when text becomes part of the paint image
and hard to edit.  SuperPaint also lets you work on the image either
a page at a time, or a screen at a time, or either 2, 4, or 8 times
magnification; and you can see all these different views at the same
time while working on your document.  You can also work in a
laserwriter mode when you are working on the pixel level of the
laser writer.

SuperPaint was demonstrated on one of the 3rd party megascreens for
the Mac, 1024 x 1024, and it was incredible.  I now almost wish I
could spend the money on one of those large screens.  The megascreen company
said that FullPaint cannot function on a megascreen.  Unfortunately
SuperPaint won't be out for another month.

--
David Whiteman,
University of California, San Diego

The America's Cup, don't leave Perth without it.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (10/07/86)

In article <2941@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) writes:

>could spend the money on one of those large screens.  The megascreen company
>said that FullPaint cannot function on a megascreen.  Unfortunately
>SuperPaint won't be out for another month.

ComicWorks seems to work fine on the MegaScreen.
--
member, all HASA divisions              POELOD  ECBOMB

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh