[net.micro.mac] Dataframe 20 and killer DA's

fritz@utastro.UUCP (Fritz Benedict) (10/06/86)

{}
I have a Dataframe 20 connected to a Mac+. This combination has considerably
brightened my life, with the following exception. Using some DA's causes
difficulties, ranging from complete freeze-up to bizzarre disk whirrings,
unrequested printer events, and bronx cheer noises. Having, at the expense of
considerable wear and tear on my nerves, installed and deleted many DA's, I arrived at this list of killer DA's:

	LockOut v1.0
	Stars 1.1
	Paintgrabber
	Artisto
	Backdown/Gamma

Can these be fixed to work properly with the Dataframe 20 ?
Possible hint: most of them do things with the screen.

Fritz Benedict  (512)471-4461x448
uucp: {...noao,ut-sally}!astro.AS.UTEXAS.EDU!fritz
arpa: fritz@ut-ngp
snail: Astronomy, U of Texas, Austin, TX  78712

--
Fritz Benedict  (512)471-4461x448
uucp: {...noao,decvax,ut-sally}!astro.AS.UTEXAS.EDU!fritz

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (10/07/86)

In article <1312@utastro.UUCP> fritz@utastro.UUCP (Fritz Benedict) writes:
>I have a Dataframe 20 connected to a Mac+. This combination has considerably
>brightened my life, with the following exception. Using some DA's causes
>difficulties, ranging from complete freeze-up to bizzarre disk whirrings,
>unrequested printer events, and bronx cheer noises. Having, at the expense of
>considerable wear and tear on my nerves, installed and deleted many DA's, I arrived at this list of killer DA's:
>
>	LockOut v1.0
>	Stars 1.1

Stars 1.3 works great w/mine.

>	Paintgrabber
>	Artisto

This works file too.

>	Backdown/Gamma

No problem here.

>Can these be fixed to work properly with the Dataframe 20 ?

The problem with most of them lies with your mac being a Mac+, and not with
your owning a Dataframe 20.  I have a DF20, and have had no problem with
the stuff I listed.  Also, the symptoms (crashes) you described are things
that the *mac* is doing, and not your drive.  Basically, many of these
programs (like Stars) write DIRECTLY to the screen.  If the screen isn't
where they think it is (a Mac+'s screen is in a different place in
memory from a 512K's screen), they will wind up writing over something
important in memory, causing a nasty crash.

Also, there's a neat program (actually, there are several of them) that
will test desk accessories w/out installing them into your system file.
You might want to check these programs out (they're either public domain
or shareware).  The one I've come across and use is DASampler.

And lastly, there are a few KILLER DA's out there.  Most notably Jclock,
which will thrash your hard drive.  I believe that Lockout is also
one such program.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		           I know lots of honorary jews!  Why,
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			  some of my very best friends
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            are honorary jews!

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) (10/09/86)

> And lastly, there are a few KILLER DA's out there.  Most notably Jclock,
> which will thrash your hard drive.  I believe that Lockout is also
> one such program.
>
> Peter
> -----
> Peter "Arrgh" Korn

	I have had Jclock installed for a long time on a couple of
	different Macs with old and new operating systems and *NEVER*
	ever had it "thrash" a hard disk or even a floppy. The Version
	of Jclock was either..The old one that installed in the system file
	or the new one that Works with INIT 31, so all it has to do is
	be in the system Folder under HFS or on the Floppy under MFS with
	System 3.2.....Lockout Da though could be a problem, I have
	heard a couple of problems with it...
	   !decwrl!glacier!bridge2!ngg   ...ihnp4!bridge2!ngg
           Norman Goodger @Bridge Communications
           2081 Stierlin Rd.
           Mt. View CA.  94043
           (415) 969 4400 Ex:445       Sysop-MACINFO BBS @415-795-8862

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (10/09/86)

In article <1312@utastro.UUCP> fritz@utastro.UUCP (Fritz Benedict) writes:
>...Kill DAs
>	Stars 1.1
As the author of Stars, I assure you that Stars 1.3 works fine on my
DataFrame 20, but please, please, everybody use the current version of my
stuff, if you're going to use my stuff at all.  I work hard to get the
bugs out before I post, and I try to be responsive to bug reports - I have
to, I have nightmares about people losing work because of my bugs.
If the current version still gives problems, let me know the symptoms.
(once again, I've had no problems.) I will either fix the problem and
broadcast to the net, or publically warn people away from my software.
And like you, I've got too much pride in my work and my skills to take
that latter step lightly.

In answer to Peter Korn:
  Although Stars does write directly to screen memory, I use the Apple
aproved method of finding out where screen memory is.  For example, Stars
works just fine on a Mac XL, which not only has the screen in a different
place, it also has a different shaped screen!

  I use Menu Clock instead of JClock (no surprise, I wrote Menu Clock over
a year ago.) the current version is version 2.1, and it quite solid.  It
is even compatible with Stars, something JClock is not.

  Killer DAs: some applications don't call ALL the Mac's Init... routines.
For example, a graphics program might not call TEInit();  Now, suppose you
bring up a DA like MockWrite, that uses TextEdit.  It must assume that
TextEdit was initialized by the application, it would be an error to call
TEInit() a second time.  Result: the desk accessory gets a bad rep, but it
was the application's fault.
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "The goal of Computer Science is to
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  -- build something that will last at
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- least until we've finished building it."