[net.micro.mac] Memory compactification runs drive??

fry_b@husc4.harvard.edu (david fry) (10/03/86)

I've noticed that calls to the Toolbox routine MaxMem (which does heap
compactification) cause my WhisperDrive(tm) hard drive to seek the
System file.  This is happening in an application I'm writing and with
the Diskinfo DA if you select "Compact memory" (although that may
call the CompactMem toolbox routine).  It also happens from a floppy
(startup) disk, but with my hard drive still connected.

It doesn't seem to me as though this happened before.  Why does the
function call cause the program to access the System file?

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry

scott@apple.UUCP (scott douglass) (10/09/86)

The _MaxMem trap compacts the heap and purges all purgable blocks.  Most
resources (including fonts) are (or should be) purgable.  The next time
one of these resources is needed (to draw text, for instance) it will
have to be read in from disk.  It's very likely that the disk access you
mention is in response to some _GetResource trap.
--
				--scott douglass, Apple Computer
CSNet:  scott@Apple.CSNet	UUCP:  {nsc, voder, well, dual}!apple!scott