[net.micro.mac] SCSI hard disks

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (10/11/86)

From: wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter)

*****Eat this line eater******

   Does anyone know what brand of drive is used for the major
SCSI disc drives. i.e dataframe, Apple etc..
  I would especially like to know what drive apple uses since
their drive is said to support filetags.
 Tanks in Advance
Pierce Wetter

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (10/11/86)

In article <1033@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>   Does anyone know what brand of drive is used for the major
>SCSI disc drives. i.e dataframe, Apple etc..
>  I would especially like to know what drive apple uses since
>their drive is said to support filetags.

The good folks who make the Dataframe have used at various times the
Seagate drive (ST225 I believe), the MicroScience (which is what their
using mostly right now), and the LaPine (and perhaps one more).  I
believe that Apple is using the MicroScience, but I can't back that up.

It is my understanding that Apple decided to NOT support file tags with
the SCSI drive just released.  I don't have any word on whether or not
Apple has any plans on putting them in any future hard drives.

From what I understand, file tags happen on the format level, so that
any drive could support file tags, merely be being formatted for them.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		           I know lots of honorary jews!  Why,
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			  some of my very best friends
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            are honorary jews!