[net.micro.mac] page sizes on Imagewriter and Laserwriter

playboy@wacsvax.OZ (Kevin McIsaac) (10/10/86)

We are trying to use the Mac as a word processor and wish to print
drafts on a imagewriter before sending the final to a laserwriter.  We
have found, when using A4, that the imagewriter and the laserwriter
print a different number of lines per page. We wish to alter the
imagewriter to bring it into line with the laser writer. I believe
that the Mac knows about both physical paper size and page size.
Physical page size is the size of the paper and is used to control page
feeds. This can be altered by PageSizer. The page size is the number of
lines to be printed per page. This is the quantity that we wish to
change. Is there a utility to alter the page size? If not can anybody
tell me the location of the constant used for this so we can patch it?

Thanks
Kevin

P.S. Why don't apple use the same number of lines per page on both
devices?

jlc@goanna.oz (J.L Cybulski) (10/12/86)

In article <364@wacsvax.OZ>, playboy@wacsvax.OZ (Kevin McIsaac) writes:
> We have found, when using A4, that the imagewriter and the laserwriter
> print a different number of lines per page.

Install LaserWriter and use PageSizer to find out the A4 page size,
then install ImageWriter and set the A4 to what you've found in a
LaserWriter settings (I haven't tried it myself but I believe it
should work).

> P.S. Why don't apple use the same number of lines per page on both
> devices?

The page size for all the Mac applications refers to the physical page size
and not to the "number of lines per page". It is the font definition that
determines the number of lines to fit on a page.

The difference in a page size on both devices is related to the hardware,
the LaserWriter is unable to access page margins and thus all the differences.
But I agree that Apple should have tried to make them more compatible through
the software solution.