[net.micro.mac] VI features, Editors, etc...

>When I found out that vi 3.9 understood function keys and had
>showmode (puts an I in the lower right corner when in insert
>mode, R in Replace, r in replace), I thought "neato!" but after
>The main problem with VI from a screen editor point of view is that it
>is really a line-oriented screen editor:

>	Forward and back word (b & w) go around lines, but forward and
>	back character don't.  Also, forward word gets stuck at the end
>	of a line if it ends with a space.
>	Vi always wants the cursor to be on top of a character, instead
>	of between characters, so you can't have a 0-length buffer, and
>	empty lines look like lines with one space (the only easy way to tell
>	them apart is to do an "x" on the line and see if it beeps).
>	The newline character is a magic cookie.  I can't point the cursor
>	to it, and I can't treat it like a normal character.  Therefore,
>	because you can't "x" it, vi has another random command:  Join.
>	This is the crux of the problem.

>The other problem is that it is NOT a WYSIWYG editor:

>	You type any change command (c,C,etc) and you get this
>	funny $ at the end of the changed region and the $ and the
>	text you changed aren't really there.  *Many* times I've had
>	novices use the C command and hit spaces to the end of the line
>	because they wanted to get rid of text that they didn't know
>	was already "gone".

Touchy Touchy.  You have a very sharp definition of what a WYSIWYG editor
is.  And even if VI weren't, I doubt it would be a problem.

What your basically saying here is that you don't like VI because it isn't
a wordprocessor.  Well, your right, it isn't.  Your also correct in that
it is difficult learn vi for the average user.  VI was never meant to be
a user-friendly editor.  What it IS is an editor that allows you to do just
about anything short of WYSIWYG-word-processing (another field entirely).
It allows the EXPERIENCED user to work extremely fast... faster than even
the most experienced user could ever work with a mouse-based editor.
(Don't give me any hash about cursor positioning... that's only a very small
part of the big picture).

Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
once you get experienced.  At the outset, the 'user friendly' mouse-based
editor is easier to learn, but you get to a point where you simply cannot
go any further (you know everything there is to know, you are typing/
moving the mouse as fast as you can), and when you get to this point, the
VI user has the advantage because HIS limits are quite a bit higher than
yours, and thus he can get things done faster.

Not only that, but user-friendly editors have virtually NO programmability.
Programmability implies things that you cannot do with a menu-driven editor.
True Programmability allows the experienced user to do almost anything he
wants.  The ultimate in programmability is EMACS.  Theoretically EMACS
supercedes even VI. (Here I'm talking about a fully configured EMACS, not
micro-EMACS).  The only reason that VI is on par with EMACS is that some
programmers LIKE the command-insert modes and do not like EMACS control
sequences.  The EMACS people, of course, have the oposite opinion.

Lately, we have seen combination editors on the market... which have
Menu and Mouse, but still base the editor on the keyboard.  These types
of editors are getting more popular as they are both easy to learn, and
have extremely high limits once you do get experienced.  I think that is
where the generic 'EDITOR' will go in the future.  Apple's "idiot box"
idea just isn't making it en` ToTo.

					-Matt

c160-aw@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Christian Wiedmann) (10/03/86)

In article <8610022020.AA28814@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>(Don't give me any hash about cursor positioning... that's only a very small
>part of the big picture).
>
>Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
>once you get experienced.  At the outset, the 'user friendly' mouse-based
>editor is easier to learn, but you get to a point where you simply cannot
>go any further (you know everything there is to know, you are typing/
>moving the mouse as fast as you can), and when you get to this point, the
>VI user has the advantage because HIS limits are quite a bit higher than
>yours, and thus he can get things done faster.

I disagree when you say that a mouse based editor has a lower limit. When I'm
typing a paper, no matter what text processor I'm using, I don't use cursor
movement controls. It's when I'm editing that I need to move around a lot.
There is no way you can convince me that it is easier or faster to edit a
bunch of text in vi than with a mouse based editor. A keyboard based editor
is only faster when you have to mix movement and text entering.

>Not only that, but user-friendly editors have virtually NO programmability.
>Programmability implies things that you cannot do with a menu-driven editor.
>True Programmability allows the experienced user to do almost anything he
>wants.  The ultimate in programmability is EMACS. ...

Ah! Here's the real key issue. The configurability is where most of the gain
in speed can come from. But why can't a mouse or menu driven editor have these
features? MEDIT for the Mac has some pretty sophisticated macro programmability
and implements these in a menu.

>Lately, we have seen combination editors on the market... which have
>Menu and Mouse, but still base the editor on the keyboard.  These types
>of editors are getting more popular as they are both easy to learn, and
>have extremely high limits once you do get experienced.  I think that is
>where the generic 'EDITOR' will go in the future.  Apple's "idiot box"
>idea just isn't making it en` ToTo.
>
>					-Matt

The "idiot box" may not make it for you, but for many people who aren't
friendly with computers, it is indispensable. Try to take even MacWrite away
from somebody who doesn't like to mess with the details of using a computer.
Don't believe that the whole world has the same aptitude for computers as you
do! Apple's "idiot box" may just do more for the home computer market than any
other innovation previously. (ok, so it's a romanticization, but it has some
elements of truth).

		-Christian

guido@mcvax.uucp (Guido van Rossum) (10/15/86)

Matt Dillon:
>Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
>once you get experienced.  At the outset, the 'user friendly' mouse-based
>editor is easier to learn, but you get to a point where you simply cannot
>go any further (you know everything there is to know, you are typing/
>moving the mouse as fast as you can), and when you get to this point, the
>VI user has the advantage because HIS limits are quite a bit higher than
>yours, and thus he can get things done faster.
>
>Not only that, but user-friendly editors have virtually NO programmability.
>Programmability implies things that you cannot do with a menu-driven editor.

Oh yeah?  Wait till mouse-based editors have been around as long and
hacked as much as VI...  Are we just discussing the merits of existing
editors or also the potential of different paradigms?  Why would it be
impossible to add complete mouse support and standard cut/paste to an
Emacs-like editor?

	...Guido

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/16/86)

In article <7107@boring.mcvax.UUCP> guido@boring.uucp (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>Matt Dillon:
>>Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
>>once you get experienced.

Useless for what, layout, paragraph entry, spelling, graphics, ???

>>Not only that, but user-friendly editors have virtually NO programmability.
>>Programmability implies things that you cannot do with a menu-driven editor.

This is more a problem of immature technology than some constraint on the
technology itself.  Some of the early visual editors had virtually no
programmability.  VI for a Version 7 system isn't as programmable as TECO.
GNU emacs is more programmable that MacWrite, because the basics behind
full-screen systems is better understood.

>Oh yeah?  Wait till mouse-based editors have been around as long and
>hacked as much as VI...

Even then, there will be a great deal of work that should be done with
a "key oriented" environment.  Paragraph entry, spelling, and any other
type of text-oriented data entry are excellent examples.

When it comes to layout, organization, and presentation planning, the
mouse is a definite win.

In some cases, such as graphics data entry, it will depend on the nature
of the data to be entered.

>Are we just discussing the merits of existing
>editors or also the potential of different paradigms?

A little of both.  Existing editors, and indications of evolutionary
trends, tend to give a good idea of where things might eventually go.

Mac products seem to be suffering from a profound lack of evolution.
MacProject is probably one of the more interesting variations, but
many products seem to be self-limited by the "Inside Mac Mentality".

>Why would it be
>impossible to add complete mouse support and standard cut/paste to an
>Emacs-like editor?

There is already an emacs editor which has some of these features.  Microemacs
3.8? for the Atari ST has options for "mice" as well as fully supported
function keys.

>	...Guido
Rex

>From: guido@mcvax.uucp (Guido van Rossum)
>Oh yeah?  Wait till mouse-based editors have been around as long and
>hacked as much as VI...  Are we just discussing the merits of existing
>editors or also the potential of different paradigms?  Why would it be
>impossible to add complete mouse support and standard cut/paste to an
>Emacs-like editor?

	We are discussing the potential of different user interfaces for
editors.  Specifically, I was talking about word processing / programming,
not drawing or paint programs .

	You said it, I didn't. "add complete".  The point is that it would
then not be solely based on the mouse, but rely on the keyboard for the more
complex commandsd .  I believe I covered this in my last posting.  The fact
is that an editor which allows the user to choose between the keyboard and
mouse, or use BOTH the keyboard and the mouse, has the potential to beat out
everything else in existance (or at least within the scope of our
discussion).  Such an editor should allow you to use the mouse and keyboard
interchangably (not be dependant on either) for command entry (obviously you
need the keyboard for text entry).  The editor which uses the mouse
exclusively for command entry comes dead last in my list.

						-Matt

heins@orion.UUCP (Michael T. Heins) (10/17/86)

In article <7107@boring.mcvax.UUCP> guido@boring.uucp (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>... Why would it be
>impossible to add complete mouse support and standard cut/paste to an
>Emacs-like editor?

It wouldn't.  I use John Brunner's uw program with GNU all the time.  I have
installed in GNU the mouse functions posted a while back by Chris Kent
/ Elgin Lee, and it works great!  I find myself using the keyboard for most
things, but for cut & paste, the mouse interface can't be beat.

--
	...!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!orion!heins

	We are a way for the universe to know itself. -- Carl Sagan

julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez) (10/17/86)

Guido van Rossum writes:
> Oh yeah?  Wait till mouse-based editors have been around as long and
> hacked as much as VI...  Are we just discussing the merits of existing
> editors or also the potential of different paradigms?  Why would it be
> impossible to add complete mouse support and standard cut/paste to an
> Emacs-like editor?

It's not. Here at RIACS we use mouse-driven EMACS.

Matt Dillon writes:
> Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
> once you get experienced.  ...

Xerox PARC demonstrates the contrary.

A lot of people are judging mouse based operation by the Mac, Amiga,
and Atari.  The problem with such conclusions is that it assumes they
are doing it optimally, which is far from the case. You would do better
to study PARC experience with mice and user interfaces before drawing
general conclusions.  Perhaps someday personal computers will catch up,
but right now they are a long way behind.  The only things judgements
about personal computer mouse driven editors are good for now is about
particular products, not that style of user interface.
--
"Good Golly Miss Molly"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	{...decvax!decwrl!}julian@icarus.riacs.edu

>Matt Dillon writes:
>> Mouse-based 'user friendly' editors are all an well, but completely useless
>> once you get experienced.  ...
>
>From: julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez)
>Xerox PARC demonstrates the contrary.

	Now I don't know if you've taken my words out of context or not.

	If what Xerox PARC demonstrates is *solely* a mouse based editor
	(no command key sequences from the keyboard, only typing and simple
	edit keys), then it may refute my statement.

	However, if Xerox PARC's mouse-based editor has complex command
	sequences from the keyboard, then you've taken my words out of
	context.  I specifically said that that applied only to editors
	which were *solely* mouse based.

	I also said in that message that those editors which allow both
	integrated mouse use and keyboard command sequences (possibly more
	complex than the mouse would offer) will eventually beat out
	everything else in existance (within the scope of keyboard+mouse).

					-Matt