[net.music] The Residents the only cutting edge???

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/31/85)

> From: rosen@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen)

> The Residents' music is difficult to describe, but I doubt that I will
> find many individuals who will disagree with me when I say that they
> are truly unique; I'll even go so far as to say they DEFINE the
> cutting edge of modern music.

Isn't that going a little overboard?  I mean I like The Residents as
much as the next guy -- you know I have my Ralph Records 12th aniversery
"Meet The Residents" picture disk hanging on my wall and pray every
night before I go to sleep that someday I'll find out who really are
underneath those eyeballs -- but somehow I find them hard to take very
seriously.  And if I did take them seriously, now wouldn't The Residents
scoff at me?

It seems to me, that "the cutting edge" is a place where other music
should evolve towards in the future.  And it seems to me that one group
like The Residents is quite enough.  (Though, actually, Renaldo and The
Loaf are quite like them, and I like RaTL better.)

		"My mother made me eat boysenberries"

		 Doug Alan
		  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

ebm@ingres.ARPA (Grady Toss) (11/01/85)

From Doug Alan...

>... you know I have my Ralph Records 12th aniversery "Meet The Residents"
> picture disk hanging on my wall and pray every night before I go to sleep
> that someday I'll find out who really are underneath those eyeballs...

Get up offa your knees and go buy the new Residents release.  Their pictures
are on the front cover (and the inside too), and their names are on the back.

... gt

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (11/06/85)

In article <140@ingres.ARPA> ebm@ingres.UUCP (Grady Toss) writes:
>From Doug Alan...
>
>>... you know I have my Ralph Records 12th aniversery "Meet The Residents"
>> picture disk hanging on my wall and pray every night before I go to sleep
>> that someday I'll find out who really are underneath those eyeballs...
>
>Get up offa your knees and go buy the new Residents release.  Their pictures
>are on the front cover (and the inside too), and their names are on the back.

If the above was meant as a joke, then ok. It was mildly humorous.

Otherwise:

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

The cover (and inside of the gatefold) depict the fictitious band The Big
Bubble who are part of the story of THE MOLE TRILOGY.

It is NOT The Baf Four (uh, sorry, FAB Four...oh, you know what I mean!)
And it's not The Residents either!

I have it on good authority.

I have also heard that the Residents are planning another tour. But as usual,
they're not going to say anything until it's almost too late.

				     Barth Richards
				     Tellabs, Inc.
				     Lisle, IL

				     "I am simple, you are simple