[net.micro.mac] New Apple ad campaign

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (10/19/86)

I don't know about the World Series (I mean, who cares about New York
and Boston? :-) ), but I saw the new campaign on ABC's weekly series,
Business World.

The ads were basically serious, psuedo-realistic vignettes in which
a bunch of corporate types produced successful reports using their
Macintosh.  There were a number of variations -- rogue department purchases
Macintoshes, individuals bring their own Macintoshes, etc.  It concludes
generally with the boss saying 'Why can't our regular computers do
this?' or 'What are they using?', etc.

In short, the ads play to reality and Apple's existing strengths.  Whether
they will influence anyone (direct experience like that in the ad is
far more effective) or not, I don't know.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (10/24/86)

In article <835@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:

> The ads were basically serious, psuedo-realistic vignettes in which
> a bunch of corporate types produced successful reports using their
> Macintosh.  There were a number of variations -- rogue department purchases
> Macintoshes, individuals bring their own Macintoshes, etc.  It concludes
> generally with the boss saying 'Why can't our regular computers do
> this?' or 'What are they using?', etc.

This is what I call real-life advertising.  A lot of us around here could
double for quasimoto; that daily trudge with Mac-over-shoulder from car
to office / office to car.  Every time I crank out something on the Mac
for co-worker's/boss's consumption, the same "this is great, why can't we
all do this" melody springs to life.  Needless to say, we are rouge
upstarts to the "Information Center" ( the corporate PC people which I
refer to as "The Zenith PC Dealership" ).  You should have seen the look
of fear on their faces when I said we were toying with the idea of
stringing an Appletalk net (actually PhoneNet). :-)
--
I have no technical challenges,                              Howard C. Simonson
 just political ones.                ...{dragon,hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ Opinion?   What opinion!?    I think you have the wrong guy... ]