[net.micro.mac] Password protection for HD20

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) (10/29/86)

Is anyone aware of software which would allow one to protect
a folder of files on the (SCSI) HD20?  The file encoding programs
are inconvenient.  What I'm really looking for is something
similar to the Hyperdrive drawer password protection.  When
a drawer (partition) is created, you can optionally assign it
a password which must be used whenever that drawer is mounted.
It cannot be defeated (easily) with a boot from a floppy.

Your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Robert Cohen
San Ramon, California (Where's that?  Like, on the way to LA, ya' know!)

bezanson@gumby.WISC.EDU (Brian Bezanson) (10/30/86)

In article <1771@ptsfa.UUCP>, rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) writes:
> Is anyone aware of software which would allow one to protect
> a folder of files on the (SCSI) HD20?  The file encoding programs
> are inconvenient.  What I'm really looking for is something
> similar to the Hyperdrive drawer password protection.  When
> a drawer (partition) is created, you can optionally assign it
> a password which must be used whenever that drawer is mounted.
> It cannot be defeated (easily) with a boot from a floppy.

For all those interested in ways to protect virtually any hard disk with
a means similiar to the Hyper-Drive, you can use MacServe by Infosphere.
I use it to partition up my HD20 so I can have some volumes that are off-line
(ex. source code files), thus saving time in the Finder if I don't need
them, and also with the ability to password protect areas that may be
sensitive.  This sounds like what you are looking for.  There is also another
new partitioner-only program out (advertised now in most Mac Magazines), haven't
seen if it supports passwording volumes.

Hope this helps.

[Standard Disclaimer: I have no connection with Infosphere except that I am
a satisfied user of MacServe.]

--
Brian Bezanson {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!gumby!bezanson
Manta Software Corp.				  bezanson@gumby.wisc.edu