[net.micro.mac] Command Keys for Openning Desk Accs.

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster;;;;JE52) (10/30/86)

When you add your own mwnu items to the Apple menu to get command key
equivalents for desk accessories, watch out.  According to apple's
guidlines, each desk accessory should have leading null character in its
name. Some amateur desk accessories ignore this requirement.
Getting a leading null character into a name in a menu from resEdit is
tough.  The best way I know to do it is to use some ascii character with a
distinctive hex code ('@' = 0x40, for example.) as a place holder, then
open the menu as general, search for 0x40, and change it to 0x00.
Warning: you can make an application unusable by incautious poking around
with ResEdit.  Work on copies and be careful.  Good luck.
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "The goal of Computer Science is to
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  -- build something that will last at
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- least until we've finished building it."

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (10/31/86)

In article <1559@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
[ Apple says DA's should have a leading null in their name ]
> Some amateur desk accessories ignore this requirement.
> Getting a leading null character into a name in a menu from resEdit is
> tough.

The simplest way to get the null in is to use Font/DA Mover.  It will put
in a null if the DA is missing it.  I don't know if all versions do this,
but the latest one does.

Does anyone know why there is supposed to be a null there?  IM says it
is to avoid conflicts with file names, but who cares if a DA and a file
have the same?
--
member, all HASA divisions              POELOD  ECBOMB

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh