[net.micro.mac] Software Project Management

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (10/24/86)

In an effort to tap the power of the net...

I have been looking for a package(s) for the Mac that does ( what's the
current catch-phrase ) Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE); that
*sounds* right.  Anyway, I'm looking for the MacProject of software
development.  The ability to draw a structured flow diagram of our
software project, refine it, add attributes of some sort to different
items in the diagram.  Oh, someone must know more about this.  From what
I understand, there are several such packages available for the little
blue monster.  ( I get this junk mail, about software engineering, and
trying to track it on the IBM PC. )

So in conclusion, anyone with pointers to this genre, please mail me a
line on what's out there and where.  If there is incredible response or
interest in results, I'll post a compilation.  Thanks in advance...
--
I have no technical challenges,                              Howard C. Simonson
 just political ones.                ...{dragon,hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ Opinion?   What opinion!?    I think you have the wrong guy... ]

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (10/31/86)

In article <4033@amdahl.UUCP> howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) writes:
>In an effort to tap the power of the net...
>
>I have been looking for a package(s) for the Mac that does ( what's the
>current catch-phrase ) Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE); that
>*sounds* right.  Anyway, I'm looking for the MacProject of software
>development.  The ability to draw a structured flow diagram of our
>software project, refine it, add attributes of some sort to different
>items in the diagram.

There is such a product! It is called "Deft" and it is
produced by
				Disus
				Suite 110, 557 Dixon Rd.
				Rexdale, Ontario M9W 1H7
				Canada
				phone (416) 249-2246

Disus is primarily a developer of VMS software, but they
wrote Deft originally because they needed it. I have used a
demo version and I am *very* impressed. I have a purchase
requisition in for it right now.

Deft actually consists of 4 components, each of which is
sold separately. These components and their (Canadian)
prices are:

		"D" - an editor for Data Flow Diagrams (DFDs) based
			  the Gane and Sarson Methodology, which is
			  similar to Yourdon's. This is actually what
			  was asked for in the original query. ($3000)

		"e" - an editor for Entity-Relation Diagrams (ERDs)
			  which is used for design of data structures.
			  ($3000).

		"f" - a screen forma design tool plus other features
			  that I am not sure about because this was not
			  part of the demo. ($2000)

		"t" - a translator to convert the Mac-based design
			  to a prototype implementation on a VAX. This
			  is not yet available and will have to be
			  customized to various possible implementation
			  environments (e.g. commercial DBMSs such as
			  Ingres and Oracle as well a VAX COBOL, etc.)
			  ($10,000)

The first two components together make a very good design
tool. There is no need to get the others if you don't want
or need them.

Of course, the usual disclaimer. I have no connection with
Disus in any way except as a potential customer.

Leonard Vanek                       phone (416) 475-0525
Geac Computers International
350 Steelcase Rd. West
Markham Ontario L3R 1B3
Canada

USENET ... {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid} !utzoo!yetti!geac!len

Note: My Usenet path is subject to change on short notice!

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (11/01/86)

Well I got several requests for a summary from my query, and
I even got some answers too!

The following is a summary of what I have received to date, both
ideas and products.  I have occasionally sprinkled a note of my own in.
These notes are offset with brackets [].  Enjoy.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you learn.  The only thing
I've heard of that might help would be FileVision - but it would only
work for documenting the structure in a neat way.  No hooks to the
rest of the world...I wonder if it could be extended...mmmmm?

Ed Reed - Rochester Institute of Technology
Usenet:   ...rochester!ritcv!eer

[ This sounds good from a diagramatic point of view but I really don't
  have any experience with Filevision.  Any thoughts from people out there? ]

ANATOOL, published by ABVENT purports to provide Structured Systems Analysis
for the Macintosh.  I requested literature describing their product because
I was curious rather than actually expecting to use it myself.  They
sent it out rather quickly.  I can't offer any evaluation of their software.

They are located at
	9903 Santa Monica Blvd
	Suite 268
	Beverly Hills, CA90212
	(213) 659-5157

Leslie A. Schnieider is the ANATOOL product manager.

Apparently they do have a demo version available for $35, but I can't find a
list price for the software itself.

[ I called Leslie and got some more info on this one.  The price is $795.
  Discount for four or more, site lic. agreements can be worked out. ]

One comment: They claim the software is protected by an electronic key that
has to be installed on the Mac's modem port, but there is no soft copy
protection.  This is the first time I've seen that scheme used on a product.

[ This is true.  It currently kills the use of one serial port.  Leslie
  mentioned a pass-through key for the floppy port may be available next
  month.  Plug it on the floppy port and the floppy drive onto it.  She
  also rumored that maybe in a year when the product has a base, protection
  might come off altogether.  I wouldn't hold my breath. ]

The above information is based on brochures I have collected and in no way
constitutes anything with respect to an endorsement, etc.

Don Levy	dml@ford-wdl1.arpa

[ Well I ordered the demo disk ($35 + $5 shipping).  I'll have to post a
  review when I have had a chance to try it and made some conclusions.
  At first glance though, this program appears to have it all; BIG price
  and BIG copy-protection.  So much for the inverse relationship theory. ]

Check out the very expensive MicroPlanner.  I saw a presentation at
SDMUG and it looked very impressive because it not only keeps track
of whether there are time line conflicts but also whether resource
(read personnel or equipment) overloads will occur.  It was about
$500 when I saw the presentation about six months ago.  It is not
fine-tuned for software development though.

Ethan Munson
UCB CS grad student
ucbvax!ernie!munson

[ This is true, MicroPlanner looks very impressive and is very expensive.
  Of course Computerware in Palo Alto has a reasonable price tag on it
  which helps.  I am actually evaluating that for its project management
  uses.  But, as Ethan said, it isn't fine tuned for software development. ]

A writer working for my consulting firm has just written a tutorial on
Meta Software's "Design" program. It is a petri net editor. It is not
as nice and fun as some Mac software, but Meta is working hard on
upgrades that will make it better. It strengths are that it knows
about connections between boxes, and it can do hierarchies, hiding
details until you want to bring them up. All connections are preseved
when part of a diagram is subsumed under one node. The subsumed nodes
appear on a separate "sheet" in the diagram. This gives it a big
advantage over programs like MacDraw when drawing nets that will need
to be edited, since the connections follow the nodes they are
connecting.

I find it very useful for writing specs that my customers can
understand. The performance is also very good. I guess the most
telling complement I can give Design is that I wish MacProject
performed as well.

Meta's phone number is (617) 576-6920

[ I called META and spoke with a guy (the person to try and get is
  Lynn Robinson at (617)576-0623) about Design.  Asked him to send out
  some info on the package.  He mentioned a demo disk is available for
  $25 (+ whatever shipping).  I figured to peruse the printed matter
  before shelling out any silver.  He mentioned a demo is to be posted
  to USENET (by some guy in Germany; if you're listening, we're all
  waiting...).  I neglected to ask what the price was.  I'll try to
  followup with the price and whatever else I find out about in this
  area in a later posting.  This sounds the most like what I'm looking
  for.  Its between this and Anatool, I guess. ]

I hear from the editor of CAD/CAM Journal that Living Videotext's
"More" is the greatest program ever for the Mac. I imagine it has all
of the flash I wish Design had. I have no idea about its suitability
for drawing software design diagrams.

Zigurd R. Mednieks
seismo!mit-eddie!zrm

[ Greatest program ever?  Come on.  FLAME ON: Greatest price tag maybe,
  for what you get.  There are several packages for the Mac that retail
  for $100 more than they should.  MORE is in that category.  Especially
  from the eyes of a ThinkTank owner.  The retail/rebate ratio was insane.
  A *lot* of things MORE does, ThinkTank should have done in the first place.
  FLAME OFF.  But besides my tirade, I don't think MORE is appropriate for
  my uses.  If someone thinks otherwise, let me know.  Thanks for the idea. ]

Well, that's about all for now.  I'll try to followup in a week or two
once I have received and toyed with more literature/demos.  Hope all
this helps someone out there.
--
"What  it boils  down to is that  when                       Howard C. Simonson
you have a problem you want a solution."    ...{hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ A disclaimer for this messages is on file in my elevator and may be viewed
  Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9-5 and between floors 3 thru 11 ]