[net.micro.mac] Driving a plotter from a MAC

mamon@acf4.UUCP (Gary Mamon) (10/31/86)

How much software has been written to drive non-Apple peripherals from the
MAC? Specifically, we have an x-y plotter, which is a Tektronix 4662, and
would like to know if there exists a Macintosh application to drive this
plotter. We are willing to spend money for this.

Gary A. Mamon -->  Astrophysics Group, New York University Physics Department
(212) 598-3627 +++++++ 4 Washington Place, New York, NY 10003, USA
USENET: {allegra|ihnp4|seismo|princeton|topaz}!cmcl2!acf4!mamon
ARPANET: mamon@nyu-acf4.arpa
BITNET: ARPA%"MAMON@NYU-ACF4.ARPA"

cch@sei.cmu.edu (Clifford Huff) (11/03/86)

In article <9300004@acf4.UUCP> mamon@acf4.UUCP (Gary Mamon) writes:

>How much software has been written to drive non-Apple peripherals from the
>MAC? Specifically, we have an x-y plotter, which is a Tektronix 4662, and
>would like to know if there exists a Macintosh application to drive this
>plotter. We are willing to spend money for this.

There are several major plotting programs for the Mac.  Recently, MacWorld
ran an article comparing several plotting packages in Oct 86 issue titled:
"The Power behind the Plotter".  None of the packages reviewed indicated any
support for a Tektronix 4662 driver, but you might want to contact these
vendors anyway to see if they have any suggestions (or may provide a
driver to you upon request).

Plot-It
Mesa Graphics
POB 600
Los Alamos, NM 87544
(505) 672-1998

Plotstart
Softstyle Inc
7192 Kalanianaole Hwy. #205
Honolulu, HI 96825
(800) 367-5600 or (800) 396-6368

MacPlot & MacPlot Professional
CompServCo
800 Freedom Ln.
Slidell, LA 70458
(504) 649-0484

MacPlots II
Computer Shoppe
POB 18344
Greensboro, NC 27419
(919) 299-4843

I have used MacPlot Professional with a Houston Instruments DMP-41 plotter
with good success and would certainly recommend that you contact them.

   ____    ______   _____      _____=====        Cliff Huff
  / __ \  | _____| |_   _|   _____=========	 cch@sei.cmu.edu
 _\___ \  |  __|     | | _____=================  Carnegie-Mellon Univ.
 | |__| | | |____   _| |_  _____=============	 Pittsburgh, PA 15213
  \____/  |______| |_____|   _____=========	 (412) 268-6382
			       -----=====
  C a r n e g i e - M e l l o n  U n i v e r s i t y

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (11/06/86)

In article <9300004@acf4.UUCP>, mamon@acf4.UUCP (Gary Mamon) writes:

> How much software has been written to drive non-Apple peripherals from the
> MAC? Specifically, we have an x-y plotter, which is a Tektronix 4662, and
> would like to know if there exists a Macintosh application to drive this
> plotter. We are willing to spend money for this.
MacWorld magazine recently had a comparison of several programs that
could send various types of drawings (usually MacDraw) to a plotter.
I believe it was the August or September issue, there is a blurb on
the front cover about it.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax