[net.micro.mac] IBM-PC <-> VAX <-> MAC network?

lane@dalcs.UUCP (11/02/86)

Our company (and those who work for it) has/have a number of PC-clones,
a few Mac's, and assorted others (Apple //c and Apple ///'s).  There is
talk of getting a uVAX or similar mini.  Question... Is there a local-
area-network product that will allow all of these machines (especially
the PC's and Mac's) to be connected in some reasonable fashion, preferrably
using the VAX as a file server?

As something of a neophyte in networking I'm not really sure what I mean
by "reasonable fashion".  For instance, how does one... or does one... go
about dealing with the (presumably) different data structures used by typical
PC and Mac applications.

Any ideas, net?

Thanks.

--
John Wright
Post:	c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax, NS, Canada, B3H-1J4

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (11/05/86)

In article <2047@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP writes:
>Our company (and those who work for it) has/have a number of PC-clones,
>a few Mac's, and assorted others (Apple //c and Apple ///'s).  There is
>talk of getting a uVAX or similar mini.  Question... Is there a local-
>area-network product that will allow all of these machines (especially
>the PC's and Mac's) to be connected in some reasonable fashion, preferrably
>using the VAX as a file server?

I don't have a very good answer, but in networking problems it is often
the case that any answer is better than none ...  :-( ...

We have a collection of Macs networked to a couple of VAXen
by way of Kinetics (sp?) boxs.  The Macs are on appletalk and the Kenitics
box bridges the appletalk to ethernet.  I have also seen demonstrated an
appletalk connection into IBM style PC's.  I don't know if the two
uses of appletalk would be compatible or not; but it might be a start.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

jl@well.UUCP (John Leininger) (11/06/86)

TOPS is supposed to becoming out with a unix version to its network
solution.  so if you vax is to run unix perhaps they may have the
solution for you.  TOPS now permitts Macs and PC to network on appletalk.

Aslo you may want to look into Lutzky-Baird, they have a apple talke
network using a unix machine as the file server (it also remains a working
unix system)

ooblick@unirot.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (11/06/86)

In article <270@apple.UUCP> ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:
>In article <2047@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP writes:
>>Our company (and those who work for it) has/have a number of PC-clones,
>>a few Mac's, and assorted others (Apple //c and Apple ///'s).  There is
>>talk of getting a uVAX or similar mini.  Question... Is there a local-
>>area-network product that will allow all of these machines (especially
>>the PC's and Mac's) to be connected in some reasonable fashion, preferrably
>>using the VAX as a file server?
>>
>I don't have a very good answer, but in networking problems it is often
>the case that any answer is better than none ...  :-( ...

There is currently a product on the market called TOPS which is currently
being used by our company to network IBM PC's and Macs.  One PC clone has
been loaded with hard drives and is being used as a file server for the
rest of the network.  Mac files can easily be stored on the PC hard drives.
The company that wrote TOPS promises a system for UNIX and VMS boxes
very soon.

For the Mac, software only is needed.  For the PC's and Vaxen, a card
will be required.

So far, its worked fine for us.

Mikki Barry

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (11/07/86)

In article <2047@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP writes:
>Our company (and those who work for it) has/have a number of PC-clones,
>a few Mac's, and assorted others (Apple //c and Apple ///'s).  There is
>talk of getting a uVAX or similar mini.  Question... Is there a local-
>area-network product that will allow all of these machines (especially
>the PC's and Mac's) to be connected in some reasonable fashion, preferrably

I think that KERMIT may hold at least a partial solution to your problem.

This free package is available in versions that will run under all the machines
you mention and would allow at least the sharing of ASCII text files. The VAX
could act as the hub of this network, running in the server mode, with all the
others interactive.

For more information on kermit and it's uses, get the KERMIT Users Guide from:

KERMIT Distribution
Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
612 West 115th Street
New York, NY 10025

Enclose $5 per copy.

I have set up simular configurations using a UNIX box as the hub with very
good results.
             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |