[net.micro.mac] modems on a Mac Plus

cosmos@druhi.UUCP (GuestRA) (10/16/86)

Has anyone connected a non-Apple modem to the modem port of a Macintosh
Plus?  I would imagine someone has....  What connections did you use to make
it work?  Did you have any trouble?
    Thanks,
	Ron Guest
	ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (10/17/86)

In article <1144@druhi.UUCP> cosmos@druhi.UUCP (Ron Guest) writes:

> Has anyone connected a non-Apple modem to the modem port of a Macintosh
> Plus?  I would imagine someone has....  What connections did you use to make
> it work?  Did you have any trouble?

I couldn't find the 8 pin Din males anywhere, so I decided to use the
adapter cable that came with the Mac + and got myself some DB9 males
and made up these two cables:

For connecting Mac to Modem or other DCE-type Female:

  DB9 Male                              DB25 MALE

       GROUND 3 O------+----------------O 7  GROUND
  XMIT DATA + 4 O-x    )
  XMIT DATA - 5 O------)----------------O 2  XMIT DATA
HANDSHAKE OUT 6 O---+--)----------------O 20 DATA TERMINAL READY
HANDSHAKE  IN 7 O---+  |            +---O 4  REQUEST TO SEND
  RECV DATA + 8 O------+            +---O 5  CLEAR TO SEND
  RECV DATA - 9 O-----------------------O 3  RECV DATA

This works with our three-wire Gandalf network inhouse and with a Courier
modem at home.  The Mac is the new RS-422 (?) balanced protocol, and the
old RS-232 had inverted data, so the DATA - goes across and the DATA +
gets grounded to complete the circuit.  Do NOT ground XMIT + !

For connecting Mac to Terminal or other DTE-type Male:

  DB9 Male                              DB25 FEMALE
       GROUND 3 O------+----------------O 7  GROUND
  XMIT DATA + 4 O-x    |
  XMIT DATA - 5 O------)----------------O 3  RECV DATA
HANDSHAKE OUT 6 O-x    |
HANDSHAKE  IN 7 O------)----------------O 20 DTR
  RECV DATA + 8 O------+
  RECV DATA - 9 O-----------------------O 2  XMIT DATA

This works with an H19 at home and a Volker Craig 4404 at work.  If your
device is persnickety it might want Carrier Detect on pin 8, if so then
connect 8 to 20 at the DB25 end (so DTR drives it).  One might also have
to connect pins 4 and 5 (RTS-CTS) together at the DB25 end to make some
devices happy.

Other than that, get a breakout box and read the specs, and if it does
not work then don't leave it connected long enough to get hot...

Several months later:

On old MACs the DTR line was held high by hardware.  On the Mac Plus there
is a driver for the DTR line.  SOME of the older terminal programs don't
have the code to drive DTR high, and SOME modems require DTR.  If at ALL
possible, set your modem up to IGNORE DTR and stay on all the time.  This
fixes a multitude of problems...

DIN 8 connectors are available.  They're just a @#$%^&*( to work with.  It
takes me half a day to make one cable, and I ruin 40% of the connectors I
try (and at $3.75 a connector that ain't cheap).  The only way I have found
to do this is to hand strip a few inches of Slit-N-Wrap wire, CAREFULLY
solder that to the connector pins (and HEAT SINK the pin too), then solder
the other end of the Slit-N-Wrap wire to the cable proper.  Really tedious.

Macintosh Plus to modem (or other DCE device):

  DIN 8 Male                            DB25 MALE

       GROUND 4 O--+--------------------O 7  GROUND
  RECV DATA + 8 O--+
  XMIT DATA - 3 O-----------------------O 2  TD
HANDSHAKE OUT 1 O--+
HANDSHAKE  IN 2 O--+--------------------O 20 DTR
  RECV DATA - 5 O-----------------------O 3  RD

Macintosh Plus to terminal (or other DTE device):

  DIN 8 Male                            DB25 FEMALE

       GROUND 4 O--+--------------------O 7 GROUND
  RECV DATA + 8 O--+
  XMIT DATA - 3 O-----------------------O 3  RD
HANDSHAKE  IN 2 O-----------------------O 20 DTR
  RECV DATA - 5 O-----------------------O 2  TD

"A boat anchor doesn't have a BIOS..."  :-)
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92

B5U@PSUVMB.BITNET (10/17/86)

   My roommate has a DAK ADC Smart Duck he has hooked up to his Apple //e. So
when I got my Mac + at the begginning of the semester, we sat down to try to
hook them up.
   First we got an Apple cable with a mini-8 on one end and a DB-25 on the
other (originally for the Mac XL, send me Email for the exact number, as I'd
have to dig up the original box). When we hooked them up and ran MacTerm, the
program replied that there was no modem connected.
   So, a friend of ours brought over his breakout box to find the problem. It
turns out that pins 2 and 3 were reversed, so my roommate built an adaptor
cable reversing the two lines (similar to a no modem adaptor).
   Now my Mac + can talk to the rest of the world.
-------

 George A. Brownfield
 Aerospace Engineering '87
 The Pennsylvania State University

 Bitnet: GAB @PSUECL
 UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvmb.bitnet!b5u

 "We don't get laid much, but we're building the future"
               -Engineering majors, according to Robin Williams

hazen@puff.wisc.edu (Tim Hazen) (10/19/86)

In article <1144@druhi.UUCP>, cosmos@druhi.UUCP (GuestRA) writes:
> Has anyone connected a non-Apple modem to the modem port of a Macintosh
> Plus?  I would imagine someone has....  What connections did you use to make
> it work?  Did you have any trouble?
>     Thanks,
> 	Ron Guest
> 	ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

All I did was buy an 'Apple //e Printer Cable.'  What it is is a DB-25
connector <-> DIN 8 (on a //e, it connects from the DB-25 Super Serial Card
port to the ImageWriter II).  It works fine, no null modem needed or anything.
I got the '//e printer cable' for $22 from my dealer; ComputerWare sells
an equivalent for around $14, I think ( I needed mine in a hurry).

Tim Hazen   {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!puff!uhura!scotty!hazen
						uhura!scotty!hazen@puff.wisc.edu

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/19/86)

[ on page 63 of Computer & Software News, Oct 13, 86 ]

BASIC CABLE, Fresno CA:  1-800-227-9225    in CA: 1-800-468-8132

All cables are molded, fully shielded, gold-plated pins, thumbscrews on all
DB25/DB9 connectors; packaged for resale, shipping in one day; no minimums;

All interface cables are 10 feet long and $12.  Mac+ converter is 6" and $10.

cables offered are for IIc, IIe, Mac and Mac+ to Hayes/Apple modem & ImageWriter

[ I have no idea if there are shipping charges or quantity discounts (probably)]

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster;Tolman 4527;0288;5408057;J) (10/23/86)

I'm talking to you now on a Hayes modem connected to my macplus.
The cable is
1.) a min-8 to DIN-9 (old mac standard) adapter  connected to
2.) a radio shack joystick extension cable connected to
3.) a 25 pin connector soldered in the following pattern:
    2 brown  (joysitck pin 5)
    3 white  (joystick pin 9)
  +-4 black  (joystick pin 7)
  | 7 both gray and orange (joystick pins 3, and 8)
  +-20
   Whenever I solder up a cable, I write the wiring diagram on the cable
   shield, so I can answer questions like this, without having to take the
   cable apart!
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

carels@uva.uucp (Richard Carels) (11/07/86)

Some time ago I bought a SmarTEAM 1200 CT modem, having a female D-25
connector. All I did to connect it to my MacPlus, was making a cable from
a mini DIN 8 plug to a male D-25. The numbers of the pins in the DIN plug
are listed below :

                             6     7     8
                             X.....X.....X

                          3     4          5
                          X.....X..........X

                               1      2
                               X......X

The connections I made were :     D-25               DIN 8

                                   2                   3
                                   3                   5
                                   7                4 and 8
                                   20                  1

I connected the mantle of the cable (I do not know if this is the correct
English word) in the D-25 to pin 7 (ground).

                                     Success !!
			Richard Carels
			Department of Computer Science, UvA

Usenet:			carels@uva.uucp
			{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!uva!carels

*             There's no dark side of the moon, really.                     *
*             As a matter of fact it's all dark.                            *
*                                               Pink Floyd                  *