[net.micro.mac] TML Pascal, SetPaths DA

bill@hao.UUCP (Bill Roberts) (11/03/86)

	I'm starting to use TML Pascal on a Mac+ (with DataFrame 20 hard disk) i
and tried using the SetPaths DA included with the TML 2.0 release.   First off,
what is 'SetPaths' supposed to do?  And secondly, what ever it is supposed to be
doing, I don't think it is! I use SetPaths to setup search paths for files
referenced in the source code of the file that I am trying to compile.
Everything is fine until I try to compile.  As soon as the compiler starts to
work on the target file the system hangs!
	So I guess the question is, is 'SetPaths, ver1.1' incompatable with the
Mac+ or is it intrinsically buggy?  And what *exactly* is SetPaths supposed to
be doing?  Thanks in advance.

							Bill Roberts
							NCAR/HAO
							Boulder, CO
							!hao!bill

bezanson@gumby.WISC.EDU (Brian Bezanson) (11/04/86)

In article <286@hao.UUCP>, bill@hao.UUCP (Bill Roberts) writes:
> 	I'm starting to use TML Pascal on a Mac+ (with DataFrame 20 hard disk) i
> and tried using the SetPaths DA included with the TML 2.0 release.
> First off, > what is 'SetPaths' supposed to do?

Set Paths is intended to help programs - specifically TML Pascal, find files
on an HFS system.  When an open (or similiar) call is done by the compiler
to find one of the Units you are using and it is not in the same folder
as the Pascal application, then Set Paths steps in and looks in the 5
alternate search areas you have declared with the DA.  There were several
bugs in the previous versions, but they have been corrected in version 1.3
which is on GEnie.

> And secondly, what ever it is supposed to be doing, I don't think it is!
> I use SetPaths to setup search paths for files
> referenced in the source code of the file that I am trying to compile.
> Everything is fine until I try to compile.  As soon as the compiler starts to
> work on the target file the system hangs!

The system shouldn't hang, even without set paths, the compiler should put up
an SFGet box so that you can try and hand-select the appropriate files.

The TML 2.0 update information is not great at best, I was one of the first
to receive the upgrade - I got the new manual with a separate supplement
(a friend received his 2.0 upgrade the other day with the supplement bound into
the new manual.  Anyway, TML 2.0 is now up to 2.01 with several bug fixes.
Did you read/see that you need to compile the Units in the Pascal System folder
before you go about compiling your programs.  This was not overly clear from
a quick scan of the new manual.  One you have compiled all the units, quit
the compiler and rerun it, this will pre-load the MacIntf Unit for superfast
compiling.

Also, when you get the 1.3 version of SetPaths there is also a doc file that
explains its function and use better.

Hope this helps any TML 2.0 users who are having similiar problems.

--
Brian Bezanson {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!gumby!bezanson
Manta Software Corp.				  bezanson@gumby.wisc.edu

chas@ssc-bee.UUCP (Chas Boyd) (11/08/86)

>	I'm starting to use TML Pascal on a Mac+ (with DataFrame 20 hard disk) i
>and tried using the SetPaths DA included with the TML 2.0 release.   First off,
>what is 'SetPaths' supposed to do? And secondly, what ever it is supposed to be
>doing, I don't think it is! I use SetPaths to setup search paths for files
>referenced in the source code of the file that I am trying to compile.
>Everything is fine until I try to compile.  As soon as the compiler starts to
>work on the target file the system hangs!
>	So I guess the question is, is 'SetPaths, ver1.1' incompatable with the
>Mac+ or is it intrinsically buggy?  And what *exactly* is SetPaths supposed to
>be doing?  Thanks in advance.
>

> 							Bill Roberts
> 							NCAR/HAO
> 							Boulder, CO
> 							!hao!bill

I, too, have had this problem on my Mac+. Depending on the paths specified,
the compiler or the linker bombs the system.  I have also been unable
to use TML 2.01 at all from a ramdisk.  I think this problem may also
be related to SetPaths/HFS.  I have yet to try the version 1.3 of
SetPaths that was posted to net.micro.mac, but that may fix both problems.
--
                                                   Chas.
- - - - - - - -

"It wasn't me. 	I've never been there.  I was under orders."

bezanson@gumby.WISC.EDU (Brian Bezanson) (11/09/86)

In article <645@ssc-bee.UUCP>, chas@ssc-bee.UUCP (Chas Boyd) writes:
> >	So I guess the question is, is 'SetPaths, ver1.1' incompatable with the
> >Mac+ or is it intrinsically buggy?  And what *exactly* is SetPaths supposed to
> >be doing?  Thanks in advance.

> I, too, have had this problem on my Mac+. Depending on the paths specified,
> the compiler or the linker bombs the system.  I have also been unable
> to use TML 2.01 at all from a ramdisk.  I think this problem may also
> be related to SetPaths/HFS.  I have yet to try the version 1.3 of
> SetPaths that was posted to net.micro.mac, but that may fix both problems.

Use only SetPaths 1.3.  Paul Snively - the author of setpaths and #1 Beta
tester of TML 2.0 says do not use 1.2 or 1.2, because they are buggy and 1.3
isn't.  On using SetPaths, Snively never intended it to work with RAM disks.
He did have it tested on RAM disks for 1.3 but only for Data Storage.  The
Pascal System still needs to be run off a floppy.  He also said that TML
will need "at least one more non-trivial revision" before it can work
properly with MacApp - this is a big bummer.  The good news is that I heard
on the APDA graipvine that updates to MPW 1.0 will be sent out free to all
Beta users/owners (maybe Larry R. from Apple can confirm this).  MPW 1.0
is also said to be near completion and ready for release.

Anyway, hope the info on SetPaths 1.3 helps.  Snively also mentioned that
TML put too much emphasis on SetPaths and not looking for files itself.  I
found this out big time when my new TML 2.0 wouldn't work on a 800K MFS
MacServe volume.  1.2 worked fine, but 2.0 was so dependant of SetPaths that
it couldn't even look for file in its own volume/folder.  And SetPaths 1.2
wasn't any help either because it only wants HFS folders as paths, not
volume names.  1.3 seems to have sold the old problems (I haven't tried
putting Pascal back on volumes yet - just use it fine from HFS).