[mod.std.c] mod.std.c Digest Volume 4 : Issue 10

osd7@homxa.UUCP (Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz) (03/11/85)

From: Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz (The Moderator) <cbosgd!std-c>

mod.std.c Digest            Sun, 10 Mar 85       Volume 4 : Issue  10

Today's Topics:
                             \e in EBCDIC
   Acceptance of white space between a macro name and its arg list
                     manipulating ftell() offset

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 85 19:29:13 est
From: mark@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP (Mark Horton)
Subject: \e in EBCDIC
To: std-c@cbosgd.uucp

I just consulted a friend from the IBM world about whether EBCDIC
has an ESC, and got the following reply:

"According to a table in my PL/I book and my S/370 card the ESC character in
EBCDIC is HEX 27, DEC 39."

Note that this is different from octal 33.

	Mark

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 85 09:47:25 pst
From: Eugene D. Brooks III <ucbvax!brooks@lll-crg.ARPA>
Subject: Acceptance of white space between a macro name and its arg list
To: cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY

I have written macros that use (exp1, exp2, ..., expret) to take some
action before the returned value is computed.  This typically occurs
when dealing with say device registers.  For example

#define FOOBAR	(func = READ, readvalue);

One can imagine the more cryptic

#define FOOBAR (func, value) ;

Where reading the volatile address func resets hardware and then reading value
returns some desired item.  FOOBAR is used as if it returns a value.  Is
allowing white space between a macro identifier and its arg list going to cause
confusion here?  This seems to me to get confused with a NULL macro that takes
two arguments.  Is there any real advantage to allowing white space here?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 85 14:08:42 EST
From: Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <ucbvax!gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
Subject: manipulating ftell() offset
To: cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY

The ftell value has to be a "magic cookie" on many (non-UNIX) systems.
E.g. it may be an index into an allocated file state data structure.
Clearly one cannot just assume it is a byte offset into the file,
so arithmetic on it is inherently nonportable.

End of mod.std.c Digest - Sun, 10 Mar 85 22:23:58 EST
USENET -> posting only through cbosgd!std-c.
ARPA -> ... through cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY.ARPA (NOT to INFO-C)
In all cases, you may also reply to the author(s) above.