[mod.std.c] mod.std.c Digest V5#9

osd7@homxa.UUCP (Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz) (04/27/85)

From: Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz (The Moderator) <cbosgd!std-c>

mod.std.c Digest            Fri, 26 Apr 85       Volume 5 : Issue   9

Today's Topics:
                     CTRL(x) in the ANSI standard (2)

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 85 01:06:24 est
From: tjr@ihnet.uucp
Subject: CTRL(x) in the ANSI standard

The suggestion was made to implement a CTRL(x) macro using
an enum:
>	enum _CTRL_kludge {
>		_CTRL_A = 1,	/* upper case control chars */
>		_CTRL_Z,
>	};
>
>	#define	CTRL(arg)	((int) _CTRL_ ## arg)

This won't work for any of the control-chars that are not letters
(e.g. ESC = ctrl-[). Often they are the most useful.

	Tom Roberts
	ihnp4!ihnet!tjr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 85 23:28:53 est
From: allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)
To: allegra!cbosgd!std-c

	Somewhere along the line I picked up the habit of saying

# define N	10
 ^ notice the blank after the "#"

	K&R makes some mention about being liberal about surrounding
operators with white space; I guess this is where I got if from (no
flames about # not being an operator, please).  I never even realized
that what I was doing was different from the rest of the world until
someone pointed it out to me (i.e. flamed at me).

	Does this violate the proposed standard?

[ This is legal as long as # is the first character in the source
  file OR the first character after a new line character.  -Mod- ]

allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)

End of mod.std.c Digest - Fri, 26 Apr 85 19:05:18 EST
USENET -> posting only through cbosgd!std-c.
ARPA -> ... through cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY.ARPA (NOT to INFO-C)
In all cases, you may also reply to the author(s) above.