[mod.std.c] mod.std.c Digest V7#1

osd7@homxa.UUCP (Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz) (06/05/85)

From: Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz (The Moderator) <cbosgd!std-c>

mod.std.c Digest            Wed,  5 Jun 85       Volume 7 : Issue   1

Today's Topics:
                       April 30, 1985 draft bug
                               limits.h

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 85 17:04:44 edt
From: Jeff Lee <gatech!jeff>
Subject: April 30, 1985 draft bug
To: std-c@cbosgd.UUCP

Maybe someone else could confirm an observation on the new grammar. The
"parameter_declaration" production has changed since the January draft to

	parameter_declaration :
		declaration_specifiers declarator
		type_name

from

	parameter_declaration :
		type_specifier_list declarator
		type_name

which, disregarding the numerous ambiguities it introduces into the grammar,
seems to allow a declaration that looks like

	main()
	{
		int gorf(typedef arg1);
		.
		.
		.
	}

Am I ignorant, missing something, or doing strong drugs or should it actually
be the way it was in the previous grammars?? Once I get some feedback on this
I'll probably post it to net.sources.

	Thanks,

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 85 15:16:13 edt
From: mark@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP (Mark Horton)
Subject: limits.h
To: std-c@cbosgd.UUCP

The appropriate definition for EXTERNAL_NAME_LENGTH is probably
256, since that's what at least one compiler enforces as a max.
Besides, this value is useful for programs that want to declare
a buffer of the appropriate maximum length portably, e.g.
	char ident[EXTERNAL_NAME_LENGTH];
A similar argument can probably be made for character strings,
although the limit might be a bit higher.

	Mark

End of mod.std.c Digest - Wed,  5 Jun 85 07:46:13 EDT
USENET -> posting only through cbosgd!std-c.
ARPA -> ... through cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY.ARPA (NOT to INFO-C)
In all cases, you may also reply to the author(s) above.