[net.misc] January

wizard (01/09/83)

Jan  1 1781: Penn troops mutiny at Morristown, NJ, march to Philadelphia
	to demand back pay from Congress.
Jan  2 1923: Secretary of Interior Fall resigns in Teapot Dome Scandal;
	Harding offers him Supreme Court appointment.
Jan  3 1961: An atomic reactor blows up at the National Reactor
	Testing Station in Idaho Falls, ID, killing three technicians.
Jan  5 1781: Benedict Arnold helps British plunder and burn Richmond.
Jan  5 1970: Joseph Yablonski, wife, and daughter murdered on orders of
	UMW President Boyle.
Jan  6 1927: Marines sent to Nicaragua.
Jan  8 1815: Andrew Jackson wins battle of New Orleans -- two weeks
	after War of 1812 officially ended.
Jan  9 1805: "Black Laws" of Ohio passed, which among other things,
	prevents blacks from offering testimony in court.
Jan 10 1870: Pres Grant proposes that Dominican Republic be annexed.
Jan 12 1968: US and Cambodia announce agreement to insulate Cambodia
	from war in Vietnam.
Jan 13 1964: B-52 carryin two nukes crashes near Cumberland, MD
Jan 14 1784: Treaty of Paris, ending Revolutionary War, ratified.
Jan 14 1969: Series of explosions on USS Enterprise kills 17.
Jan 15 1811: Congress authorises President to take Spanish East Florida.
Jan 16 1893: Pineapple tycoon Dole and others conspire to overthrow
	Queen Liliuokalani in Hawaii.
Jan 16 1920: Prohibition begins.
Jan 18 1973: Seven Hanifi Mussulman disciples murdered in Washington.
Jan 19 1973: Juan Corona found guilty.
Jan 20 1964: Wisconsin Cheese Foundation starts making 34591 lb cheddar.
Jan 22 1968: B-52 with nukes crashes near Thule, Greeland.
Jan 23 1968: Pueblo seized.
Jan 26 1961: B-52 crashes near North Carolina.
Jan 25 1971: Charles Manson clan convicted.
Jan 26 1784: Benjamin Franklin suggests turkey as national bird.
Jan 27 1967: Apollo I flash fire.
Jan 28 1969: Santa Barbara oil spill.
Jan 29 1967: Bobby Baker convicted of income tax evasion.
Jan 30 1798: Rep Matthew Lyon (Vermont) spits in face of Rep Roger
	Griswold (Conn) during argument on floor of the House.
Jan 30 1835: Attempt on Pres Andrew Jackson fails when pistols misfire.
Jan 30 1900: William Goebel shots one day before being sworn in as
	Governor of Kentucky.  Serves three days and dies Feb 3.
Jan 31 1968: Tet Offensive catches Gen Westmoreland by surprise.

halle1 (01/10/83)

The Hanafis were the murderers, not the victims.

wizard (01/11/83)

Jan 18 1973: Seven Hanifi Mussulman disciples murdered in Washington.
------------------------------------
	From: houxz!halle1
	Newsgroups: net.misc
	Title: Re: January

	The Hanafis were the murderers, not the victims.
------------------------------------
>From the New York Times, Jan 19, 1973:
WASHINGTON, Jan.18 Two adults and five children were slain late today in
a house once owned by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...  From sketchy police
reports, it was learned that the adults had been shot to death and that
three of the children had been drowned in a bathtub.  The two other
children apparently had also been shot to death...  There was no
explanation for the shootings, but the execution-style killings pointed
to a feud between members of the Hanifi sect of the orthodox Muslims.
Were those children murderers or victims?

halle1 (01/12/83)

I was referring to the seizure of a building and several hostages by the
Hanafis.  As I recall, they killed several people during their seige,
and police killed some of them also.  There was a big flap recently
when one of them was parolled.
If you were referring to another incident, my apologies.  If I have
inadvertantly referredto the wrong group of people, I am truly sorry.