[mod.std.c] mod.std.c Digest V13#3

osd@hou2d.UUCP (Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz) (01/21/86)

From: Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz (The Moderator) <cbosgd!std-c>

mod.std.c Digest            Tue, 21 Jan 86       Volume 13 : Issue   3

Today's Topics:
                        Near and far pointers
                         Remainder on floats

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 86 00:55 EST
From: Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Near and far pointers
To: cbosgd!std-c

The current version of Microsoft C has an extension to the language that
allows one to declare individual pointers as long or short.  (This
probably only makes sense if you program the Intel 8086.)  I understand
that they have proposed this extension for the C standard.  Can someone
tell me if this is true, and, if so, does it look like it will be
accepted??

          Thanks,
          Paul

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 86 01:47:46 PST
From: hoptoad!gnu (John Gilmore)
Subject: Remainder on floats

I was surprised to discover that the C language does not define the
remainder operation (%) on floats.  It's certainly clear that this is
useful (ever do argument reduction for transcendentals?) and there
are good definitions of it, e.g. in the IEEE float spec.  Is this
just a historical problem (e.g. the PDP-11 didn't have the instruction
so it's not in C) and is this likely to get fixed by the standard?

End of mod.std.c Digest - Tue, 21 Jan 86 08:23:31 EST
USENET -> posting only through cbosgd!std-c.
ARPA -> ... through cbosgd!std-c@BERKELEY.ARPA (NOT to INFO-C)
In all cases, you may also reply to the author(s) above.