Date: 6 Mar 85 13:43:57 CST (Wed)
From: hokey@plus5.uucp (Hokey)
Subject: fun with setpiece
To: std-mumps

I am trying to come up with some blood-and-guts examples of what is supposed
to happen when martians write mumps code using bizzare naked references in
setarguments which use setpieces.

According to the Standard, the behavior is:

	$P(glvn,d,m,n)=expr

	1) scan the glvn and evaluate subscripts. (doesn't affect naked)
	2) evaluate d, m, n (can affect naked)
	3) evaluate the expr to the right of the = (can affect naked)
	4) bounds check m and n
	5) evaluate glvn ("resolve" naked glvn)

Therefore, is the following example correct:

	k ^a,^b
	s ^a(1,2)=1,^a(1,2,3)=2,^b(4,5)=6
	s x=$d(^a) ; destroy naked
	s $p(^(1,2),":",^a(1,2),^(2,3))=^b(4,5)
	;sets ^b(4,1,2)="6:6"

I would appreciate other, equally baffling examples.

Hokey

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 85 13:08:57 CST (Wed)
From: hokey@plus5.uucp (Hokey)
Subject: Possible problem with Linestart
To: std-mumps

At a recent MDC meeting, we made an "editorial change" to the proposed Standard
to permit multiple spaces before the first command.  We made this change by
permiting LS to be at least 1 space.  The definition is:

			 _			     _
			| commands [ [ cs ] comment ] |
  line  ::=  [label] ls	|			      |  eol
			|_ [ cs ] comment	     _|

The problem with permitting multiple spaces for a linestart is it messes up
$TEXT.  The definition for $TEXT states "Specifically, the entire _line_,
with _ls_ replaced by one SP and _eol_ deleted, is returned."

We should either leave the definition of LS alone and delete the optional CS
in the bottom case (above), or return to the original definition of LS and
let the LS be followed by an optional CS.

I prefer the latter, as it means "what you type is what you get".

Hokey

End of std-mumps Digest
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey