[net.sources.bugs] program to repetively display command on crt

dpa@ubu.UUCP (David Angier) (11/24/84)

[Munch..Hmm...Yuck...]

I was quite suprised to see a C program to display the output of a
shell command string every n seconds.  Surely this is an elementry
task in shell script.  I'm sure that this is one of the main uses
of shell script files.  It seems stupid to write such minor utilities
in C.
Here follows a quite adequate display program written in /bin/sh shell
script.  It could be shortened by making the syntax simpler or
removing checks for invalid syntax (half the program.)

-----------------------CUT-HERE-----------------------------------------------

SLEEP=5
if test $# = 0
then
	echo Usage: $0 [-seconds] command [command args]
	exit
fi
if expr $1 : '-'[0123456789]>/dev/null
then
	SLEEP=`echo $1|tail +2c`
	shift
fi
if test $# = 0
then
	echo Usage: $0 [-seconds] command [command args]
	exit
fi
while true
do
	clear
	$*
	sleep $SLEEP
done

Lets have no more silly C programs in net.sources.

		Dave (Maths @ Warwick University, UK)

peter@rlgvax.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (11/27/84)

XXX
> It seems stupid to write such minor utilities in C.
> Lets have no more silly C programs in net.sources.

Not all of us agree that a small shell script is superior to a small
C program.   Compare the cost of running "clear" n times with the cost
of writing thought-out C code to perform the same task.

> > It seems stupid to write such minor utilities in C.
> > Lets have no more silly C programs in net.sources.
>
> Not all of us agree that a small shell script is superior to a small
> C program.   Compare the cost of running "clear" n times with the cost
> of writing thought-out C code to perform the same task.

"Cost" measured how?  If it's fast enough, it's fast enough; it does not
need to be made faster.  Civilized people use shell scripts anywhere they
can, with C implementations done when, and *only* when, the performance
of a shell implementation has proven to be inadequate in real use.

This applies to large programs too, by the way.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) (11/30/84)

> "Cost" measured how?  If it's fast enough, it's fast enough; it does not
> need to be made faster.  Civilized people use shell scripts anywhere they
> can, with C implementations done when, and *only* when, the performance
> of a shell implementation has proven to be inadequate in real use.
>
> This applies to large programs too, by the way.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Personally, I like C so well that I would rather use C than a shell script.
Especially for large programs, and for several reasons.  First is the speed.
Also, the form of a C program is more easily extendable.  It would be a real
drag if I wanted to extend either my or somebody else's program only to find
that it is a shell script and what I wish to add is something that you cannot
do with a shell script.

But somehow I still consider myself to be civilized, and will never object to
"silly" shell scripts that do things cultured people would do with C :-)

"Life's a bummer, and then you die."

--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

emil@rochester.UUCP (Emil Rainero) (11/30/84)

In article <4698@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> > It seems stupid to write such minor utilities in C.
>> > Lets have no more silly C programs in net.sources.
>>
>> Not all of us agree that a small shell script is superior to a small
>> C program.   Compare the cost of running "clear" n times with the cost
>> of writing thought-out C code to perform the same task.
>
>"Cost" measured how?  If it's fast enough, it's fast enough; it does not
>need to be made faster.  Civilized people use shell scripts anywhere they
>can, with C implementations done when, and *only* when, the performance
>of a shell implementation has proven to be inadequate in real use.
>
>This applies to large programs too, by the way.

Why all the flames in net.sources.bugs?   Who cares what the program is written
in.  If it works and doesn't kill the system, then live and let live.

Emil "keep those towers of hanoi programs coming" Rainero

	UUCP:	(..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!emil)
	ARPA:	emil@rochester.arpa
	USmail:	Emil Rainero, Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627.
	Phone:  Office: (716) 275-5365   Home: (716) 424-5016

tom@uwai.UUCP (11/30/84)

> Personally, I like C so well that I would rather use C than a shell script.
> Especially for large programs, and for several reasons.  First is the speed.
> Also, the form of a C program is more easily extendable.  It would be a real
> drag if I wanted to extend either my or somebody else's program only to find
> that it is a shell script and what I wish to add is something that you cannot
> do with a shell script.
>
> But somehow I still consider myself to be civilized, and will never object to
> "silly" shell scripts that do things cultured people would do with C :-)
>
> "Life's a bummer, and then you die."
>
> --
> Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
> ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek
> derek@wisc-rsch.arpa

Rah Derek!
--

Tom Christiansen