[net.sources.bugs] Shar files--making leading & trailing stuff into comments

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (12/12/84)

In article <322@qantel.UUCP> stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) writes:
> >>--------------- cut here and run the rest through "sh" ---------------
> >
> >It seems to me that if you put colons ":" at the front of all the
> >introductory lines like those above, I could just say "w|sh" to my "rn"
> >prompt...
> >

> From dual!ptsfa!politik!chris Thu Dec  6 21:52:30 1984
>
> You can always say (in rn)
>
>	 | sed 1,/cut/d | sh
>
> That is easier than going into vi and so on.
> Christopher Seiwald
> dual!ptsfa!politik!chris

Hmm, good idea.  Perhaps shar file posters should include the above
suggestion in the descriptive info of shar file postings, eh?

P.S.: I still think that "w|sh" is easier.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,nsc,intelca,proper}!qantel!stv

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (12/13/84)

The problem with either "w|sh" or "|sed '1,/cut/d'|sh" is that you aren't
likely to be in the correct directory.  Rn chdirs all over the place for
efficiency reasons.  You'd probably have to say something like
"w|(cd DIR; sh)".  If you want it in the directory you ran rn in, for
instance, you'd have to say "w|(cd %O; sh)".

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall