[net.sources.bugs] VSH wanted...

ksbszabo@wateng.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (03/18/85)

In article <3816@mit-eddie.UUCP> jfw@mit-eddie.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
>	Surprise! CBREAK is a 'Bell-ism' from Version 7, which endured through
>Berkeley systems, but was removed when they came up with the horrid
>excrescense of the System III/V tty driver.

I don't understand your dislike of the SystemIII tty driver. After
having to deal with both BSD4.2 and SystemIII I find I prefer the
system III. It took me a while to port from 4.2->sysIII, but with
a little help (Thanks Guy!) the systemIII stuff is always cleaner,
with a fairly straightforward set of flags set. Admittedly the 4.2
driver is prettier from a user point of view (nice echoing of control
chars, tabs etc), but from a programers point of view there are a gizillion
(more than 6) sets of flags which almost do what you want but never quite.
And there is always one more `local word' or `user word' that has to be filled
with 0's or -1's to turn superfluous junk off.

	Just an opinion...(not a flame, well maybe a little warm...)

					Kevin
--
Kevin Szabo  watmath!wateng!ksbszabo (U of Waterloo VLSI Group, Waterloo Ont.)