[net.sources.bugs] Overnight backups - autodump

jeffe@uoregon.UUCP (jeffe) (05/01/85)

ukma!david  (David Herron)  states:

> >	.  .  .    (quotes discusion of dump competing with getty on console)
> >
> I have a similar set of shell scripts (which I like better).  But I had
> this same problem with competing with getty.  So I fixed init so it
> would keep the console logged in.  (Actually....it was ANY line who's
> /etc/ttys entry had 'c' in the first column)  So now It doesn't compete
> with getty, any time I need to do something quick, I've got a terminal
> already logged in, etc.  (We can only do this here because the machine
> is kept locked with limited access.)
>
> Ok, I'll offer a set of diffs to anybody wanting them.  Please note
> that this is for 4.2BSD, on a 11/750.
>
> .  .  .

This will solve your problem, however, it may cause others.  For instance,
I know a security hole in 4.2BSD that is fairly simple that will crack
your system so fast your head will spin. Of course this assumes you leave
the console logged in as root.  I won't broadcast what the hole is, as I
haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.  It's subtle, so you're probably
safe, but you won't catch me leaving the console logged in!

		Jeff Eaton
		University of Oregon, Computer and Info Science

		..!tektronix!uoregon!jeffe

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (05/06/85)

In article <237@stc-a.stc.UUCP>, shimell@stc.UUCP (Dave Shimell) writes:
> 		- If the dumps require more than a single tape, the
> 		  last dump must be aborted and manually restarted.
> 		  (I guess the script could keep track of the amount
> 		  of tape used in previous dump run.)  As the script
> 		  is reading /dev/console, you have to compete with
> 		  getty to talk to dump.

I have a similar set of shell scripts (which I like better).  But I had
this same problem with competing with getty.  So I fixed init so it
would keep the console logged in.  (Actually....it was ANY line who's
/etc/ttys entry had 'c' in the first column)  So now It doesn't compete
with getty, any time I need to do something quick, I've got a terminal
already logged in, etc.  (We can only do this here because the machine
is kept locked with limited access.)

Ok, I'll offer a set of diffs to anybody wanting them.  Please note
that this is for 4.2BSD, on a 11/750.

Oh, how do I run the backup program?  Simple.  I wrote a quickie that
would use that ioctl() that forced characters into a terminal's input
buffer.  This one takes the text from the command line.  So my crontab
entry looks like:

     30 04 * * 1 force /dev/console "cd /backup; daily 2"

(The '2' is the dump level to use.)

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david<@ANL-MCS> or david%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa

	"The home of poly-unsaturated thinking".