[net.sources.bugs] Robots for sysV

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (06/10/85)

Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
doesn't work either. It wouldn't compile with the following problems:
robots.c
==============
(634)  unknown size
(641)  l_type undefined
(641)  F_WRLCK undefined
(641)  warning: F_WRLCK may be used before set
(642)  l_whence undefined
(643)  l_start undefined
(644)  l_len undefined
(645)  l_pid undefined
....etc, etc

Has anyone gotten this to work on UNIX SysV.2 on a VAX 11/780?
--
Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse

david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) (06/11/85)

> Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
> doesn't work either.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work on UNIX SysV.2 on a VAX 11/780?

i have gotten it to complile on UNIX SysV.2 on a 3b2, and the
original 4.2 version on a Vax [the only problem i had was the
3b2 doesn't have man pages, or nroff :-) ].

david
--
david parter
UWisc Systems Lab

...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!david
david@wisc-rsch.arpa

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/13/85)

> Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
> doesn't work either. It wouldn't compile with the following problems:
> robots.c
> ==============
> (634)  unknown size
> (641)  l_type undefined
> (641)  F_WRLCK undefined

Sounds suspiciously like the file-locking call for "fcntl".  That didn't
appear until S5R2V2 for the VAX; it may have come out earlier for the 3B.

Too bad UNIX didn't have a file locking mechanism earlier...

	Guy Harris

apm@iclbra.UUCP (Andy Merritt) (06/14/85)

> Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
> doesn't work either. It wouldn't compile with the following problems:
> --
> Steve Pearse
> ihnp4!hound!pearse

*** PLACE THIS MINT WITH YOUR SAGE ***
The error messages are caused by ioctl calls to record locking routines.
This is because not all SysV's have record locking.
The simplest work around is to comment out the offending lines. The program
then works, the only possible problem is if two people try to update the
highscore files simultaneously.
	Andy

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (06/14/85)

> > Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
> > doesn't work either. It wouldn't compile with the following problems:
> > robots.c
> > ==============
> > (634)  unknown size
> > (641)  l_type undefined
> > (641)  F_WRLCK undefined
>
> Sounds suspiciously like the file-locking call for "fcntl".  That didn't
> appear until S5R2V2 for the VAX; it may have come out earlier for the 3B.

Yes, that's exactly what the problem is.  I posted the SysV version of robots
and when someone complained, I looked up the problem.  Apparently, System V
isn't as standard as I thought.

			robert
--
Robert Viduya							01111000
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

apm@iclbra.UUCP (Andy Merritt) (06/14/85)

> > Recently someone posted a new robots for SysV. Well, that program
> > doesn't work either. It wouldn't compile with the following problems:
> > --
> > Steve Pearse
> > ihnp4!hound!pearse
>
> *** PLACE THIS MINT WITH YOUR SAGE ***
> The error messages are caused by ioctl calls to record locking routines.
				   ^^^^^
> This is because not all SysV's have record locking.

I meant "fcntl" of course, not "ioctl".
	Andy

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/19/85)

In article <157@iclbra.UUCP> apm@iclbra.UUCP (Andy Merritt) writes:
>The error messages are caused by fcntl calls to record locking routines.
>This is because not all SysV's have record locking.
>The simplest work around is to comment out the offending lines. The program
>then works, the only possible problem is if two people try to update the
>highscore files simultaneously.
>	Andy

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Public thanks to
Andy for a simple, but essential, tip.  Robots now builds on my System
III system (with a change to the Makefile to add -ltermlib).  I haven't
played it yet, but IT'S BUILT.

Now, does anyone have a nice modification to Galaxy's use_term.c so that
it will work on System III?

Steven
--
***