[net.sources.bugs] Trouble with visual strek

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (09/30/85)

In article <110@birtch.UUCP>, oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) writes:
> Another bunch of complaints has to do with the bad design  :
> 	1)  You often start the game in a quadrant with klingons with
> 		no shields.  The result is your immediate death

	No. You're wrong. The FIRST thing you do is put your shields up.

> 	2)	The game allows the klingons to shoot twice per round at the
> 		same target.

	Wrong again. Each Klingon only get 1 shot per round. You can
either torpedo one Klingon each turn, or hit all of them with phasers
in one turn. Deciding which to use is part of the stratagy.

> 	3)  You can't shoot torpedoes or move in any other than 8 given
> 		directions

	Ture.

> 	4)  Game is verbally obusive.

	Why? Because it calls you Dunsel? If you're stupid enough to
run into a star, you deserve it.

> All this can be ( and should be) fixed IFF it was a good game...
> I won at the highest level of difficulty one hour after getting the
> game to run. And there really isn't anything good about this version.
> I like warp a lot more.

	If you don't like it, fix it. I did.

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

clelau@wateng.UUCP (Eric C.L. Lau) (10/02/85)

In article <267@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>In article <110@birtch.UUCP>, oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) writes:
>> 	3)  You can't shoot torpedoes or move in any other than 8 given
>> 		directions
>
>	True.

Nope. Check the code.  You can shoot in any direction by entering a number
between 0 and 360 like in polar coordinates, i.e. 0 is right, 90 is up and
so on.  I had to rewrite the input sections to allow for using a backspace
to correct a character entered, though.  You can still move in only eight
directions, true.