[net.sources.bugs] Posting sources that work

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/11/85)

I think that the rules for posting to Usenet should contain some stern
warnings about testing sources to make sure they work before posting them.
I have often had shell archives fail, and have saved sources that contain
very obvious bugs that cause the program to fail.

Please test those sources before posting!

~  Sean Casey                         UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or              ~
~  915 Patterson Office Tower                {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean ~
~  University of Kentucky             ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA           ~
~  Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027        BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET                 ~

w8sdz@brl-tgr.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (10/14/85)

It must certainly be possible with current technology to have
some automatic method of doing a checksum or crc check as one
"unshars".  I remember seeing some postings which did this until
someone complained that their version of Unix didn't have the
necessary checksum program.  It seems to me it would be a simple
matter to distribute such a program and require all net news sites
to make it available to users.  As things stand now, one never knows
for sure if the submitted files are complete.  I have had several
occasions recently where they were not.  They did not exceed the
64k limit, so that wasn't the problem. Maybe it was the old bug
where if a new line started with a "." it was taken as end-of-file.

--Keith Petersen
--
Keith Petersen

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (10/16/85)

In article <2115@brl-tgr.ARPA> w8sdz@brl-tgr.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen (WSMR) <w8sdz>) writes:
>It must certainly be possible with current technology to have
>some automatic method of doing a checksum or crc check as one
>"unshars".  I remember seeing some postings which did this until
>someone complained that their version of Unix didn't have the
>necessary checksum program.   ...

Some sh archive programs use wc to check the number of lines in the file
after it is unpacked.  It is semi useful because many of the files have a
line added at the end for some reason.  Perhaps a shell archiver that
makes sure each file ends with a linefeed would do the trick.

BTW, why was sum changed for SYS III?  Isn't that tantamount to:
New crypt. See /usr/news/crypt.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231