[net.sources.bugs] As long as we are taliking about rmgrouping ...

jlh@loral.UUCP (A Casual Observer) (11/04/85)

In article <245@mit-eddie.UUCP>, gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
> I propose that we remove net.sources and only allow the posting of
> sources in mod.sources.* for the following reasons:

I DISAGREE!  It seems that net.sources is one of the postive factors of netnews.
I have learned quite a bit by seeing how other people do things, and have
gotten several interesting and useful programs from here.

> Net.sources falls prey to the repeated information problem -- too many
> repostings of old information.  Examples:
>
> 	* Please repost hack version 9000 ...
> 	* I have a program that prints files backwards, sideways, upside
> 	  down ...
> 	* Here is a sendmail.cf that runs rings around Mars ...
> 	* etc., etc.

This is a problem in all groups.  In the case of repost hack version
45 e 1284.5 the authors seem to ignore requests for reposts, preferring instead
to send mail.  I too got disgusted at the number of people with their own
useless methods of printing files backwards, but these things happen when
you get a large group of people together.  And just because you don't like
a sendmail that runs rings around Mars doesn't make the program useless.
It's only when it's the 45,932 version of the damn thing it gets useles.

Finally, this is a totally inappropriate (sp?) place for this discussion and
I vote we move it elsewhere, like net.flame or net.netnews.  Anybody
responding to this please don't put your responce in net.sources, do as
I say, not as I do.