[net.sources.bugs] help needed about DOSAMATIC

wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) (02/19/86)

I downloaded the dosamatic for ibmpc from the net.sources a few weeks ago.
After cutting off the lines before #---cut here--- line in the uuencoded
files 1 and 2, I 'cat 2 >> 1' then run the 'sh 1'.
After transfering the exe file to ibmpc AT (dos 3.0), I tried to run it.
I got the Turbo-Pascal run time error message FF ( which means heap/stack
collision).    Can anyone tell me what went wrong ?  ( I used the supplied
ibmmono.bat to run it).
Or can someone near Princeton send me the two uuencoded files ?
Thanks.
HP Wei  (wei@princeton)

PS: The run time error happened the second time. The first
time the ibmmono.bat simply returned to dos. The third time the machine
was stuck and had to soft reboot.

bmarsh@noscvax.UUCP (William C. Marsh) (02/20/86)

In article <1227@princeton.UUCP>, wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) writes:
> I downloaded the dosamatic for ibmpc from the net.sources a few weeks ago.
> After cutting off the lines before #---cut here--- line in the uuencoded
> files 1 and 2, I 'cat 2 >> 1' then run the 'sh 1'.
> After transfering the exe file to ibmpc AT (dos 3.0), I tried to run it.
> I got the Turbo-Pascal run time error message FF ( which means heap/stack
> collision).    Can anyone tell me what went wrong ?  ( I used the supplied
> ibmmono.bat to run it).
> Or can someone near Princeton send me the two uuencoded files ?
> Thanks.
> HP Wei  (wei@princeton)
>
> PS: The run time error happened the second time. The first
> time the ibmmono.bat simply returned to dos. The third time the machine
> was stuck and had to soft reboot.

The problem uudecoding dosamatic (and arc, for that matter) is that postnews
adds some blank lines to the end of each article.  These lines have to be
deleted before joining the two halves of the shar file together.  I have
succesfully downloaded both dosamatic and arc500 from the postings on this
newsgroup.  My suggestion for future postings of this type are to split
the uuencoded file BEFORE sharing it, then sharing each piece as separate
files.  The two files could be combined using cat, then uudecoded.

I'm surprised uudecode didn't complain.  Maybe it doesn't do any type
of crc or error checking.

--

Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@nosc

"If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (02/21/86)

I too need help with DOSAMATIC, but not to get it working on the PC: that
was no problem. There are a few minor bugs that annoy me, namely

1. When the menu says 'show hidden files' it actually means do not show them.
2. When asking to execute a batch file it says 'Enter Command:" when it
   really wants the parameters only.
3. I cannot find a way to stop it always asking me if what I want to do
   is a graphics program (it never is).
4. I am not sure that it always indicates the correct number of subtasks.
5. etc. etc.

BUT
my main gripe is that my version is always hanging up the XT needing a
hard boot. I just did it again, running dosamatic under itself (stupid
twit that I am). Am I alone in having problems, or is it all a ploy to
get me to pay my money and receive the latest and greatest version?
Personally, I would happily pay (or negociate a site-wide license), but
only after ensuring that the goods are worth the price. Every need for
a time-consuming hard boot reduces the price which I think it is worth.

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (02/22/86)

In article <279@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP (Mike Gerard, DD Division, CERN.) writes:
>I too need help with DOSAMATIC, but not to get it working on the PC...

>1. When the menu says 'show hidden files' it actually means do not show them.
Right. They are toggles -- hit it and THEN it WILL show'em.
>2. When asking to execute a batch file it says 'Enter Command:" when it
>   really wants the parameters only.
Yup. Pretty stupid... :-(
>3. I cannot find a way to stop it always asking me if what I want to do
>   is a graphics program (it never is).
This is REALLY dumb. So far as I know, there ain't no way. :-(
>4. I am not sure that it always indicates the correct number of subtasks.
It doesn't. You have to hit F2 to update the screen. :-(
>5. etc. etc.
    :-(  :-(

>BUT
>my main gripe is that my version is always hanging up the XT needing a
>hard boot.

Never had THIS problem (but then again, I don't use DOSAMATIC anymore. :-) )

--

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.

	   It takes thought to make a program that thinks.
	   But it takes work to make a program that works.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (02/26/86)

More DOSAMATIC problems:-

1. With LASTDRIVE=Z the left-hand side list of units gets all screwed
   up: when I use via MS-NET on virtual disk E it reads (from the top)
   B C D E E F G H ....
   with the second E blinking. Moving the cursor up gets it correct, but
   then moving it down towards Z screws it again.
2. I would like to set up various defaults, such as showing hidden files,
   sorting by date and time etc.
3. Copying a whole directory.

It ain't bad, though.