[net.sources.bugs] Using identifiers with more than 7 chars. #$%@

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/05/86)

In article <526@dsi1.UUCP>, ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) writes:
> Sorry  for posting here but where else does one post to readers of this
> newsgroup?
>
> [FLAME ON!]
>
> I  wish  that the people that post sources to the net would try to keep
> in mind that some of us have compilers that can't swollow  indentifiers
> that are longer than seven (7) characters long.  Now I know that all of
> you guys and gals in BSDLand like to make you programs look real pretty
> with  all  those  nice  long  descriptive  names for your functions and
> macros but some of your less fortunate  counterparts  don't  have  this
> luxury and it's a real pain to go through an entire program full of
>
> 	system_call_seven (what_ever_cmd_five);
> 		. . .
> 	system_call_eight (what_ever_cmd_four);
>
> you  get  my drift?  I realize that some programs are not going to port
> to some machines, but when someone claims to the  net  that  a  program
> will  be  "easy  to  port" or that "it should run on..."  they could at
> least make an attempt to verify  this  fact.    Maybe  they  should  be
> sentenced  to  work  on  a  machine  that  chokes  on  the    slightest
> inconsistancy for a while.
>
> [FLAME OFF now.]

   Indeed.  As an additional aside (my appologies to you UNIX-purists in
advance) but believe it or not, *SOME* of us are running Ultrix, or XENIX,
or some other form of UNIX!  If you are going to post software with major
system dependencies (such as long identifier names) LABEL them in the
summary, damn it!

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim and and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (03/06/86)

In article <29@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>or some other form of UNIX!  If you are going to post software with major
>system dependencies (such as long identifier names) LABEL them in the
>summary, damn it!

Sigh. Here we go again. First things first: you should *not* use long names
that differ in the last few characters. Put the differences in the *front*
of the name, where they are easy to find. That makes for much more readable
code.

Now, back to the flames (ain't they fun!).

Using long names is *not* a system dependency, it's a compiler depenency. My
Lattice/Amiga compiler swallows 31-char names, no problem. How should I tag
those? What about using voids, as some compilers don't support those at all?
How about void *func(), as 4.2BSD doesn't handle it? Function prototyping
(once again, Lattice/Amiga has it)? Structure assignment and friends? Should
we tag *all* of those?

Finally, System V now supports flexnames, and Ultrix has always had it. If
you're not running 4.2BSD or System V, it's your own fault (if you've got a
vendor still selling 4.1, System III or v7, you should change vendors!). If
your vendor hasn't upgraded to the latest version of System V, you should go
shout at them. If you're on a micro, you probably need to buy/should have
bought a better C compiler. But those are usually the compilers that are
going to have more serious problems than lack of long names.

	<mike

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (03/07/86)

In article <2214@teddy.UUCP>, jpn@teddy.UUCP writes:
> >[FLAME ON!]
> >
> >I  wish  that the people that post sources to the net would try to keep
> >in mind that some of us have compilers that can't swollow  indentifiers
> >that are longer than seven (7) characters long.
>
> I cannot sympathize.  I have a program that was posted to the net some
> time ago called "shortc" which takes all conflicting long identifiers in
> a set of source files, and outputs #defines to differentiate them (which
> you can either insert into each source file, or into a header included
> by each file).  5 minutes work, and ANY program with long identifiers can
> be made to run.
>
> Of course, if the pre-processor you have is ALSO limited to 7 characters,
> then you may STILL have a problem, since shortc assumes the preprocessor
> can differentiate all identifiers in the program.  Of course, if this is
> the case, I would throw away that compiler, and start over!
>
> Of course, even with a bogus compiler, and a bogus preprocessor, you can
> still take the output of shortc and apply the changes by hand yourself!  The
> program will be less readable after this transformation, though.  No
> doubt shortc could be modified to output awk scripts, or something, to
> automate this process.
>
> Is there enough interest to have this program re-posted to the net?
>

> John P. Nelson (decvax!genrad!teddy!jpn seismo!harvard!talcott!panda!teddy!jpn)

     *****GRRRRRRRRRRR*****

     In other words, John, you would have us believe that portability of code
is the responsibility *NOT* of the author(s), but the users?

     Yes, I would like very much to see your program, so that I can try to make
use of software written by inconsiderate louts who don't want to bother with
portability constraints.

(for the record, there is *NO* other C compiler available for my system)

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

In article <408@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) writes:
> In article <29@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
> >or some other form of UNIX!  If you are going to post software with major
> >system dependencies (such as long identifier names) LABEL them in the
> >summary, damn it!
>
> Sigh. Here we go again. First things first: you should *not* use long names
> that differ in the last few characters. Put the differences in the *front*
> of the name, where they are easy to find. That makes for much more readable
> code.
>
> Now, back to the flames (ain't they fun!).
>
> Using long names is *not* a system dependency, it's a compiler depenency. My
> Lattice/Amiga compiler swallows 31-char names, no problem. How should I tag
> those? What about using voids, as some compilers don't support those at all?
> How about void *func(), as 4.2BSD doesn't handle it? Function prototyping
> (once again, Lattice/Amiga has it)? Structure assignment and friends? Should
> we tag *all* of those?
>
> Finally, System V now supports flexnames, and Ultrix has always had it. If
> you're not running 4.2BSD or System V, it's your own fault (if you've got a
> vendor still selling 4.1, System III or v7, you should change vendors!). If
> your vendor hasn't upgraded to the latest version of System V, you should go
> shout at them. If you're on a micro, you probably need to buy/should have
> bought a better C compiler. But those are usually the compilers that are
> going to have more serious problems than lack of long names.
>
> 	<mike

   ***SHIT***   Mike, what I *SHOULD* have done, it appears, is spend $50K or
more on a bigger, better system!  There are 2 (count them two) versions of
UNIX (XENIX) available for the hardware I can *AFFORD*:  2.3a (an unGhodly
meld of V7 and SysIII), and SYS III.   There is 1 (count it, one!) C compiler
available for this system/OS combination.

    I humbly apologize to the you, and to the net, for not having bothered
to spend more money that I'll make in the next 4 years on my system!

    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

--

====================================

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (03/07/86)

In article <408@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@ucbopal.UUCP (Mike Meyer) writes:

> Finally, System V now supports flexnames, and Ultrix has always had it. If
> you're not running 4.2BSD or System V, it's your own fault (if you've got a
> vendor still selling 4.1, System III or v7, you should change vendors!). If
> your vendor hasn't upgraded to the latest version of System V, you should go
> shout at them. If you're on a micro, you probably need to buy/should have
> bought a better C compiler. But those are usually the compilers that are
> going to have more serious problems than lack of long names.

Gee, that's awfully generous of you, Mike.  So it's all my fault the
compiler doesn't support flexnames now?  I should go change vendors,
huh?  (Are you offering to buy my existing equipment at a price high
enough to let me afford the latest and greatest?)

Oh, you don't want me to replace my still-functional obsolete
equipment?  I should just go "shout" at the vendor to supply me with V.2.
Let's see, the president of that defunct company works in Irvine;
that's driving distance for me.  Maybe I could go shout at him.  Or are
you offering to buy me a ticket to Paris so I can go shout at the V.P.
of Engineering?

Give me a break, Mike.  Even if I had a live vendor like MicroSoft, do
you really think that Bill Gates is going to change his release
schedules just because I yelled at one of his support persons?

Oh, I understand now.  I blew it when I picked vendors.  All I can say
is that it sure must be nice to be able to see into the future and see
which vendors are not going to make it.  Care to recommend any stocks
for me?
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

mike@fluffy.UUCP (Mike Schloss) (03/08/86)

In article <47@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>In article <408@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>> In article <29@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>> >or some other form of UNIX!  If you are going to post software with major
>> >system dependencies (such as long identifier names) LABEL them in the
>> >summary, damn it!
>>
>> Finally, System V now supports flexnames, and Ultrix has always had it. If
>> you're not running 4.2BSD or System V, it's your own fault (if you've got a
>> vendor still selling 4.1, System III or v7, you should change vendors!). If
>> your vendor hasn't upgraded to the latest version of System V, you should go
>> shout at them. If you're on a micro, you probably need to buy/should have
>> bought a better C compiler. But those are usually the compilers that are
>> going to have more serious problems than lack of long names.
>
>   ***SHIT***   Mike, what I *SHOULD* have done, it appears, is spend $50K or
>more on a bigger, better system!  There are 2 (count them two) versions of
>UNIX (XENIX) available for the hardware I can *AFFORD*:  2.3a (an unGhodly
>meld of V7 and SysIII), and SYS III.   There is 1 (count it, one!) C compiler
>available for this system/OS combination.
>

>    I humbly apologize to the you, and to the net, for not having bothered
>to spend more money that I'll make in the next 4 years on my system!
>

>    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Quit your bitching.  I'm getting tired of hearing it.  If you don't want
someone's FREE software then dont take it.  Why should people with current
systems have to generate code that is harder to maintain so you can use it
as is.  Code with descriptive variable names are usually easier to debug,
maintain, and port then programs with all identifiers 6 chars or less.

Stop apologizing and write your own damn software if you don't like whats
available.

					Mike Schloss

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/09/86)

  I believe that it is time for some clarification.  When someone tells me that
a piece of code is portable across UNIX implementations, I believe that this
entitles me to certain expectations.

  If the author of a PD piece of software does not choose to take the trouble
necessary to ensure portability, this is certainly a valid choice.  But do *NOT*
then refer to the damned thing as being portable!  It isn't!

  It is easy enough for you filk with the fancy systems (especially the spoiled
4.xBSD-ers) to talk about bogus compilers.  If you are targetting your code for
BSD installations, *FINE*.  Just tell us so, and quit pretending to write
"portable" code.  I realize that this is sacrilege, but there are one HELL
of a lot of non 4.xBSD and SYS V.x sites out there.

  In fact, if you want to base the argument *SOLELY* on numbers, the largest
installed base of UNIX systems consists of the TRS-80 Modle 16 (and now the
Model 6000), running an uhGhodly meld of V7 and SYS III!

  (no, I don't expect many, if any, authors to attempt to make their code
portable to these systems...just trying to make a point)

--

====================================

mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (03/10/86)

In article <47@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
>   ***SHIT***   Mike, what I *SHOULD* have done, it appears, is spend $50K or
>more on a bigger, better system!  There are 2 (count them two) versions of
>UNIX (XENIX) available for the hardware I can *AFFORD*:  2.3a (an unGhodly
>meld of V7 and SysIII), and SYS III.   There is 1 (count it, one!) C compiler
>available for this system/OS combination.

"Afford" is a nasty word, and how much you pay for your hardware/software
has very little to do with the quality you get. For example, the $150
Lattice C compiler for the Amiga is, in some respects, better than the
4.3BSD C compiler.

As for what runs on cheap hardware, buying a cheap Unix box is probably a
mistake. Unix is a pig, and expecting to get a reasonable Unix system for
under $7K or so is unreal (as far as I know. If you've got one, let me know).
If you spent that much on a Unix system, then you could have gotten either a
4.2 or V.2 system, both of which have flexnames.

I also seriously doubt that there's only C compiler for your system. Given
your username, I'd suggest you call Oasys (617/491-4180) and ask them about
a C compiler.  [Disclaimer: I don't work for Oasys. I don't know anything
about them. I just happened to have seen one of their ads recently.]

I didn't ask you to spend more money than you did, I asked you not  to bitch
at people who  giving you software because you have an inadequate C compiler.
Bitch at your vendor, instead.

If porting the software is a real problem for you, send me email stating
what you want ported and how much you're willing to pay for it. Of course,
if the code isn't readable (someone broke readability in the name of
portability, say), then it's going to be expensive.

	<mike

In article <171@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>Gee, that's awfully generous of you, Mike.  So it's all my fault the
>compiler doesn't support flexnames now?  I should go change vendors,
>huh?  (Are you offering to buy my existing equipment at a price high
>enough to let me afford the latest and greatest?)
>
>Oh, you don't want me to replace my still-functional obsolete
>equipment?  I should just go "shout" at the vendor to supply me with V.2.
>Let's see, the president of that defunct company works in Irvine;
>that's driving distance for me.  Maybe I could go shout at him.  Or are
>you offering to buy me a ticket to Paris so I can go shout at the V.P.
>of Engineering?

Ok, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You bought hardware, and
the company died. This could happen to anyone who doesn't buy from IBM, so
you're not to blame. That's the break you asked for.

>Give me a break, Mike.  Even if I had a live vendor like MicroSoft, do
>you really think that Bill Gates is going to change his release
>schedules just because I yelled at one of his support persons?

No, but if a large part of their customer base started complaining about it,
they might. Then again, unless there's any truth to the rumor about
Microsoft having changed there support policy, all customer complaints will
be ignored.

One thing is certain - complaining because people post software that you're
obsolete compiler doesn't accept will *NOT* get you a better compiler.

>Oh, I understand now.  I blew it when I picked vendors.  All I can say
>is that it sure must be nice to be able to see into the future and see
>which vendors are not going to make it.  Care to recommend any stocks
>for me?

Unfortunately, that ability doesn't extend to picking companies with
reasonble software support et. al. Solution: complain, and if they don't
change, ignore them. That's why I don't know if MicroShaft actually has a
better support policy these days.

For stock, buy Commodore-Amiga. They have a great machine, respectable
software, a reasonable dealer network, and competent tech support people.
None of which insures that they will survive. :-)

	<mike

wagner@utcs.uucp (03/10/86)

In article <46@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP writes:
>     *****GRRRRRRRRRRR*****
>
>     In other words, John, you would have us believe that portability of code
>is the responsibility *NOT* of the author(s), but the users?
>

>     Yes, I would like very much to see your program, so that I can try to make
>use of software written by inconsiderate louts who don't want to bother with
>portability constraints.
>

>(for the record, there is *NO* other C compiler available for my system)
>
>--
>
>====================================
>
>Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.
>
>tom keller
>{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020
>
>(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

Before this becomes another *stupid* flaming session, lets remember a few
things here.

Posting to Net.sources is a voluntary activity.  There may be some
pressure to contribute if you have gotten a lot of benefit out of it,
but some poor shnooks like me don't write very much or very well in C
(and there isn't much interest in SAS or PL/I in the unix community :-) )
so we don't contribute much.

As a voluntary activity, posters are probably willing to accept constructive
peer criticism BUT NOTICE THE WORD CONSTRUCTIVE.  Look it up in the
dictionary if you don't have a good handle on what it means.

I have just returned to the network after a haitus of about two years.
The ratio of constructive to destructive criticism has changed dramatically.
Most of the old-timers (not so old, perhaps) who helped start and chart the
course of this network have given  up in disgust.  It used to be a network
where people HELPED each other out.

Now, I must admit that it would be of more help if people would post
portable programs.  However, I don't know how to write portable programs
in C...I barely know how to get my own programs to work at all.  As such,
if I ever write a program that actually does something useful and innovative,
I may post it.  I would appreciate suggestions that result in a more
portable program, but I, like most other people, will dig in my heals and
resist (and probably say 'screw you, charlie') if criticised destructively.

Remember, people are giving, freely, the fruits of their labours here.
Now, admittedly, sometimes the quality of programs here in net.sources
is such that you get what you pay for.  But sometimes you get a lot more.
If you didn't think you were getting value for the time spent here, you
would have unsubscribed to this group a while ago.  Right?  So pipe down
(sorry about that!) and allow (even, shudder, help?) people to learn from
their mistakes.

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

(incidentally, all minor flames on spelling, grammer, etc to /dev/null .
Comments of consequence on the content of this article always welcome)

pete@oakhill.UUCP (Peter Percosan) (03/10/86)

Tom, It always amazes me to see the complaints from people that
receive FREE code. No one is twisting your arm to take this
code, so instead of pissing and moaning about code that doesnt run
on all machines, why dont YOU use this medium to enlighten US
with code that does (or does not for that matter).

The only thing that we should get upset about is when all code
ceases to show up (possibly due to "fear of flames").

  Peter Percosan
  Digital Signal Processors,
  Motorola, Inc.   Austin Texas

forrest@srs.UUCP (Forrest Durett) (03/10/86)

> In article <408@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) writes:
> > In article <29@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:
> > >or some other form of UNIX!  If you are going to post software with major
> > >system dependencies (such as long identifier names) LABEL them in the
> > >summary, damn it!
> >

>    ***SHIT***   Mike, what I *SHOULD* have done, it appears, is spend $50K or
> more on a bigger, better system!  There are 2 (count them two) versions of
> UNIX (XENIX) available for the hardware I can *AFFORD*:  2.3a (an unGhodly
> meld of V7 and SysIII), and SYS III.   There is 1 (count it, one!) C compiler
> available for this system/OS combination.
>

>     I humbly apologize to the you, and to the net, for not having bothered
> to spend more money that I'll make in the next 4 years on my system!
>

>     Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

	I will most likely receive the same inconsiderate treatment

from Tom Keller that others have received for answering his article,

but what hell I don't care.  Mr. Keller, please send your flames to

/dev/null where they will be more appreciated.  I have just started

reading this news group recently and have found some pretty useful

programs on the net and I am thankful for it.  I think that Mr. Keller

is forgetting a very important point.  He is getting this software free.

It is written at the EXPENSE of the author only.  I have a little

suggestion for Tom Keller.  If you do not wish to spend a little time

to get a FREE piece of software up and running on your system, then by

all means WRITE IT YOURSELF.  Calling people louts and acting as if

your the one that is doing the author a favor by using his or her

software is a laughable act of inconsideration.

						Forrest Durett
						S. R. Systems
						Rochester, N.Y.

> ...  Why should people with current
> systems have to generate code that is harder to maintain so you can use it
> as is...

The technical term for it is "portability".  Nobody said it was effortless.

> ... Code with descriptive variable names are usually easier to debug,
> maintain, and port then programs with all identifiers 6 chars or less.

You can still write code with descriptive variable names, you just need
to make sure they're all unique in the first N characters.  This is a
minor nuisance, no more.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/12/86)