[net.sources.bugs] Braille Printing under Unix

gst@talcott.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (05/22/86)

In article <284@brueer.brueer.UUCP>, ralph@brueer.UUCP (Ralph Mitchell) writes:
> In article <691@brl-smoke.ARPA> SYSBDES%TCSVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
> >
> >    Anybody seen a filter that takes ascii text and produces reasonible
> >braille output.
>

> There is a program called DOTSYS that is being used by the Institute of
> Bioengineering here at Brunel...

I don't have any personal experience with braille or hardware/software
regarding same, but I did get a tip from someone whose son uses a gadget
called a "pocket brailler".  It measures 7" x 3 1/2" x 1".  He says it
has 56K of memory, and will talk directly to a printer, and can be used
for computer input/output.

The brailler is made by the Southland Mfg. Co. in Lexington Kentucky.
Further information is available from Wayne Thompson or Fred Gissone
at the Kentucky Commission for the Blind in Frankfort, KY.
Blind
--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!talcott!gst)